Roku?

Algae

If you are not interested in games, with the money you save you can pay Netflix for a couple of years.

I imagined you as a "Need for Speed" guru or something like that :)

LOL. I did with a Pentium 100, I believe. But it wasn't as fun as giving a BMW a real spanking on the onramp.

Roku or AppleTV - both stream Netflix great - AppleTV has an edge on Netflix stream quality and it will also allow you to stream your iTunes through your home theater system. AppleTV has YouTube content which Roku does not. Both are dead simple to setup with a slight edge to the AppleTV. I expect Apple to bring many new things (channels and apps) to the AppleTV in the next year. Roku can add new content but they lack the size and muscle of Apple to get the big content deals. Both are $99 (for a comparable Roku model).

My parents have a Roku. Its a nice little unit if all you want to do is stream netflix. Works better than the Wii but not as well as my xbox. They were thinking about the new AppleTv, but it requires that you stream netflix through the computer to the unit. So its not really a stand alone player.

My parents have a Roku. Its a nice little unit if all you want to do is stream netflix. Works better than the Wii but not as well as my xbox. They were thinking about the new AppleTv' date=' but it requires that you stream netflix through the computer to the unit. So its not really a stand alone player.[/quote']

Netflix streaming is native on the AppleTV - no need to touch the computer at all.

I will also add that the Airplay feature is crazy cool. Here's a YouTube video demo showing the Airplay from an iPad but the iPhone and desktop/laptop is pretty much the same:

do you have the version of appletv that came out a month or two ago? I was told it needed a computer to be on to stream.

Sent from my HERO200 using Tapatalk

Yes I have version 2. They might have been referring to playing content in/from iTunes on your computer. You can rent from iTunes directly on the AppleTV but it's only rentals and some iTunes store content is not available for the AppleTV. If you have a computer with iTunes then you can turn on a feature called 'Home Sharing' and the you can stream the content from your iTunes library on your computer to the AppleTV.

Already have a Blue Ray player so don't need it. Also don't want to get my daughter (me too) too addicted to gaming (as I sit here on the laptop).

Algae, this is Gumby's wife--I have a Roku and love it! Since I've bought it, I've found that there's another updated one for the price I paid--that would be the best way to go. AND you can stream Hulu to your Roku, (though it costs about $8 a month) which I'm really looking forward to. Someday.

Anyway, it's a good way to get some old shows on instant viewing, and some of your movies.

:-)

Algae,

I actually have two Roku units, one on my main tv and one on my smaller one. So you can see I am happy enough with Roku to buy a second one! Besides Netflix, they stream many other "channels" and services such as movie and tv programs through Amazon, photos on Flickr, music from Pandora, and many, many more. And they are adding new channels all the time.

This is a great alternative if you don't need a gaming console, and like others have mentioned, it is really simple to set up and very straightforward to use. And all of this is available with only a monthly subscription of 8.99 from Netflix. This is the same subscription rate on the Wii but through the Wii you don't have any of the extra services.

Just my 2 cents on the matter,

Jean

• Like 1

Algae,

I actually have two Roku units, one on my main tv and one on my smaller one. So you can see I am happy enough with Roku to buy a second one! Besides Netflix, they stream many other "channels" and services such as movie and tv programs through Amazon, photos on Flickr, music from Pandora, and many, many more. And they are adding new channels all the time.

This is a great alternative if you don't need a gaming console, and like others have mentioned, it is really simple to set up and very straightforward to use. And all of this is available with only a monthly subscription of 8.99 from Netflix. This is the same subscription rate on the Wii but through the Wii you don't have any of the extra services.

Just my 2 cents on the matter,

Jean

Great! Do you need separate accounts for Netflix, Hulu Plus, etc. for each box?

Great! Do you need separate accounts for Netflix' date=' Hulu Plus, etc. for each box?[/quote']

You are allowed to watch instantly on up to 6 unique devices using your Netflix account, you just activate each box when you first connect it to Netflix. Then you do the same type of activation with each of your other accounts you use in the different channels available (Amazon, etc.) If you already have a Netflix account you can go check out their website for details on the various devices available to you.

Have fun!

Jean

(a former Duck, many years ago)

• Like 1

You are allowed to watch instantly on up to 6 unique devices using your Netflix account, you just activate each box when you first connect it to Netflix. Then you do the same type of activation with each of your other accounts you use in the different channels available (Amazon, etc.) If you already have a Netflix account you can go check out their website for details on the various devices available to you.

Have fun!

Jean

(a former Duck, many years ago)

Thanks!!!

I have one Roku box coming today and I am thinking of another already :Dand I don't even have my new router/modem set up not to mention that my new higher speed connection will not happen until tomorrow!

Do you use any the other connections like Pandora, flickr, etc.?

The Amazon thing is pretty cool. I wanted to see/get "The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo" after reading the book. So I order the DVD through Amazon and am also able to stream it immediately while waiting for the DVD to arrive. The older I get the less I am enchanted with technology but this is nice. I am a MUCH older parent of a 6 year old and there is so much that I have to watch in private and this makes it easier.

Thanks Again!