Speaking of tangs...

Holly

(hungry) My yellow tang mows a large romaine leaf down to the ribs every day. He eats great at feedings and nibbles my tank macro, too. I love to watch him going at it, and I know they're supposed to be grazers, but is it possible for them to overeat? Should I not put a romaine leaf in every day?

I've thought about adding one more tang of some kind, since I have so much greenery in there and love watching them. Any advice on tangs that do or don't mesh well with a yellow? Thanks! :D

beings its well established your going to have a prob adding any new tangs, with tangs its best to add a few weeks apart so they dont have time to establish territory or dominence it will be a gamble at best but if you do, try to buy a larger speciman if possible.And as far as feeding greens every day thats the only way to keep them fat and sassy.

• Like 1

Tangs (fish in general) are vertebrates just like us. So the stomach would have a "sensor" to tell the brain to "stop eatting, I am full." Tangs have a longer digestive tract than other fish (something I learned from Sean recently) so they could possibly eat more food per body size compared to another fish per body size. I would keep the romaine leaf coming every day.

About adding another tang, it is best to keep tangs that are in a different genus. If a tang is too closely related (being different species in the same genus, or even being the same species), they would most likely quarral because they would be competing for food. But in your case, 180 is plenty enough to have a little school of yellow tangs if you prefered. Just make sure that the yellow tang you are adding in is just as big, or bigger than the one you have now. This way you can reduce quarraling at acclimation. But I would suggest any tang in the book for you.

Purple tangs are good, but they are in the same genus (zebrasoma sp.) with the yellow tang.

The thing about chevrons is that what you see is the juvenile coloration. Once it passes it's juvenile coloration it becomes big, black, and mean. The tangs from the ctenochaetus genus eat diatom algae, such as the tomini tang (which I would suggest). My favorite genus of tangs are the acanthurus genus. They get bigger than a zebrasoma, but smaller than a naso. One of those would be great in your 180. They can be mean, so that would be the last tang to introduce, but they are (IMO) the most colorful and demanding of all of the surgons.

I have a Pacific Blue and a Sailfin tang, which were placed in my tank on the same day. The Blue was the last fish in.

They seem to get along okay. Blue is a bully, but the sailfin holds it's own in the "Tang-go" dance. It's top fin has a bite taken out of it at least once a month.

• Like 1

Had a yellow in this tank (155) for about 5 years, aded a blue and then 3-4 months later added a naso. The three play and have a great time in the tank. Not saying this is normal but it is the case here. The yellow got a little offensive at first but he does that with anything new, it usually goes away after 2-3 days. If not I flash a mirror on him and show him his reflection, that gets him everytime. Just keep in mind 3 full grown tangs are to much fish for our size tank, however my plans for a larger one will become reality as soon as these dang acro's fill up the tank.

Thanks for the head's up on the chevron (aggressiveness and blah color). I guess the pics I saw were all juvies...

Tominis look cool, but they're kinda dark.

I really like Naso. I think my tank is big enough for one. I read that they can peck at LPS if they aren't fed enough, but I keep everyone very well fed, so I'm not sure if that's an issue.. ?

The powder blue looks nice, too... :D

Thanks for the head's up on the chevron (aggressiveness and blah color). I guess the pics I saw were all juvies...

Tominis look cool, but they're kinda dark.

I really like Naso. I think my tank is big enough for one. I read that they can peck at LPS if they aren't fed enough, but I keep everyone very well fed, so I'm not sure if that's an issue.. ?

The powder blue looks nice, too... :D

My Naso is my favorite fish, from day one he ate from my hand, stay away from powder blue. As far as what you hear what eat... any tang can become a nipper of lps, clams or zoas... its just a matter of time, hunger, preference and what other fish teach them. Just roll the dice.

I got my Naso small, about 2.5" he is now only about 4" at most, he seems to be the slowest grower so far, hes been in my tank for 6 months or so, but he is friendly and likes to play with other fishies.. I will be redoing all pics as soon as I get a new camera... actually shopping right now for one.

THANKS! $29 is a great deal..

You know, I've never even been to Waves before. Lake Oswego is just a little out of the way from N Vancouver...but I intend to go soon. I heard it's a great shop!

I'm not adding any fish for a while, since I removed a CB butterfly with signs of Ich several days ago. He's eating and looks good thus far. The main tank still has no signs of anything. :::knocking on wood:::

• Like 1

I just picked up a red sea sailfin tag at Advanced. Its awesome!! Its eating frozen foods already. Now if i could get it to come out so i can actually see it....

Mine took a few days and then was trying to rule the tank and push the rabbitfish around, (who is bigger then him), but they have come to some sort of agreement and things are good!

I was able to stand still by the tank last night and watch him eat some mysis and brine again. I also see him eating this green stringy algae thats been growing on my glass since the diatoms went away. Its not hair algae, rather individual strands that grow really long. Its growing on the bright side of my tank where the flow is higher. But the tang sure loves the stuff, he's eaten half of it on the back wall in 4 days!!