What next?

lucid

Firefish are doing very well, have an established hole/home in a rock, and have been eating vigorously anytime food is placed in tank. They seem to be doing well, have had them for 1.5 weeks. I was wanting some insight on my next fish; i know i want a niger trigger, melanarus wrasse, 2 clowns (that will most likely host my torch coral), and possibly a tang. Which of these do you advise i get first? I heard niger's have been known to be aggressive and eat other fish.

Depends on where you get them, but yes, B&W's are generally more expensive, check with Nick at RoseCity, and as for hosting, it's hit or miss, they'll host what they want to host, not what you want them to host LOL.

I'd save the wrasse for last, get the tang before the wrasse, and possibly hold off on a triger.

..... I heard niger's have been known to be aggressive and eat other fish.

Not likely unless you just toss the new fish in. I just feed my Niger trigger at one end of the tank to keep it occupied and then put the new fish in on the other. I also usually use my hand to put them in and release them down near the rocks where they are not going to be noticed immediately. The exception of course will be things like lionfish or eels that are either poisonous or can make a nasty bite. With 3 different niger triggers the only live fish any ate was a chromis that I just tossed in one day without thinking. (I moved it from another tank here where it was being a pest)

To add to the above. I would hold off not just for last on the wrasse but rather for several months. They are pod eaters and it will take 6 months or more (a year would be better) to get a nice healthy pod population.

The tang will depend upon the type and the size of your tank. (Avoid tangs entirely if you have less than a 75 gallons tank) A bristeltooth tang might be the best for a next fish if your algae is a bit out of control. (A normal situation for new tanks) Clowns are very hardy however they are not really a cleaner and will pretty much do nothing more than increase the bioload in the early stages which actually makes it take longer for the tank to stabilize. In the early stages (up to 6 months or a year) I would focus on fish that aid in the tank maintenance. (Sand shifting goby, algae blenny, bristletooth tangs, etc.)

If mine are easy to catch I will sell you mine. Pm me for details. They currently host a long tentacle anemone.

Thinking about getting 2 black saddle clownish' date=' are they good fish? I want them to try and get hosted by my Torch Coral[/quote']

Sent from my SCH-I500 using Tapatalk

• 2 weeks later...