How much sand is needed for a 3 to 4 inch sand bed in a 300g? plus other questions...

CA2OR

I am trying to do the math to completely plan this system if I get it. So I need to know how much sand I will need to get a 3 to 4 inch sand bed in a tank that is 8x 2 1/2.

Also....do I need to support my floor to put this size tank on bottom level? House was build in late 70's and has no basement.

This tank was most recently used for FW....what all do I have to do to get it prepared for salt?

How can I get 240+ gallons of water to my house?

I am thinking 300 might simply be too big for me ATM.....(scratch) Maybe I go back to 150 to 180 for now.....what do you think?

Eric, go for it, it's a helluva deal and you'll really kick yourself in the *** later on if you walk away from this one...Check to make sure they've never used copper in the system though, that's a huge no-no, especially with sharks.

As for the sandbed, roughly 500lbs of sand should do the job, I found a nice handy dandy calculator, here's the link...http://www.garf.org/calculators/SandBedCalculator.asp

And since you've got the shark already, you're really going to want an 8' tank, and you know it man.

Eric, talk with Steve, Saltfinsax, he's a contractor, talk him into comin out to your place an goin over it, he can tell you whether it's safe or not, an I bet if you offer him a couple of nice frags, he'll come by LOL.

As for the sand an the water, talk with Rick about the sand, he might be able to get his hands on about 500lbs of that playsand he ordered in, that'd be perfect for you, and as for the water, my advice, invest in a good 150gpd RO/DI unit an buy some buckets of salt LOL. It'll be cheaper in the long run that way LOL

....he might be able to get his hands on about 500lbs of that playsand he ordered in' date=' ......[/quote']

Just to clarify it's sugar size calcium carbonate. (Most of the playsand around here is the gray silicate sand)

I need superfine sand....can't be corse...

This stuff should be perfect. Not sure offhand how much is left though. (About 400 lbs. I think) A ton is my minimum order if you need more than that. (I just did a group buy a month or so ago so it will be awhile before I can do another) I'm selling it right now for $20 per 50 lb. bag. If you get everying left over at the supplier at once I can do a better deal (send me a pm or call me tomorrow). (Part of that $20 is for having to run over there to get it and one trip saves me money)

$20 for 50 lb's and I would need 500?....so $200 for sand?

I don't think there is 500 left there to get. Pretty sure it's close to 400. If I get all of it at once figure $140 (or $150 delivered). For that deal though you need to supply buckets or bags to put it in. (50 lbs. or so per bucket)

I need superfine sand....can't be corse...

its fine but......

You may need to act quick though, I am planning on stopping by Ricks today to see what the sand likes like in the tank, if I likey then I planned on buying almost all of what is left.

Its WHITE and I just want to see how it looks set up in a tank before I buy it.

This is the sand I have for the new one also. Have around 300# going in.

Big tanks cost more money all around. Your better off getting a good RO/DI unit if you get a tank that big. Your talking 50g or so for a basic water change. With a fowlr tank you will be doing the changes more often I would think. Most likely you will also need to at least brace well under the house for that much weight, may need a small slab depending on the quality of the house' build and the location in the house.

I can get aragonite sand for a pretty good deal. If you want that instead or if Rick doesn't have enough for you. I can get either the fine sugar stuff or the coarse stuff as well.

Also, I have a 27 gallon tote in my garage full of used coarse sand that needs to be washed. I'll let the whole thing (about 300-350 lbs) go for $60. This offer is good to anyone out there looking for a crap load of sand. You can either bring buckets or bring back my tote when you get the sand out. either way if you want hte sand. I may have a couple 5 gallon buckets full out there as well I can throw in with it.

Matt

If you figure a FOWLR water change of 20% bi-monthly or 10% weekly, thats 1/2 a 5g bucket of salt a month with a 1.023 ish salinity if I'm doing the math correctly. DEFINATELY get the RODI ( surprised Eric, you don't already have had a few) and ATO a must. 300g tank will evaporate at least 4 gallons a day or more. my 90 FOWLR uses 1.5g a day under a canopy with a small t5 fixture. If you slowed the flow. full cover the top and used flourescent you might knock it back to 3g a day, but you wont cheat the salt without compromising the health on water changes with big dirty fish IMO.

i would err on the lighter sand bed. you don't need 4" with a FOWLR, it will fill up with detritus. i am experiencing that now in my 125 even with 2400gph turnover and two 1600gph power heads. when i do the 500g, i'm going 2". FYI, i'm also a contractor if you need advice.

If you figure a FOWLR water change of 20% bi-monthly or 10% weekly' date=' thats 1/2 a 5g bucket of salt a month with a 1.023 ish salinity if I'm doing the math correctly. DEFINATELY get the RODI ( surprised Eric, you don't already have had a few) and ATO a must. 300g tank will evaporate at least 4 gallons a day or more. my 90 FOWLR uses 1.5g a day under a canopy with a small t5 fixture. If you slowed the flow. full cover the top and used flourescent you might knock it back to 3g a day, but you wont cheat the salt without compromising the health on water changes with big dirty fish IMO.[/quote']

Agreed, ATO and RO/DI is a must at this level. My open top 120G uses about 3G per day evap. I change 15 gallons a week of saltwater so thats so thats 36G a week, 144G a month, so RO/DI is a must for me even if i had one tank, and i have 5. LOL

I went through 5 gallons every 2 days with my 125g which is slightly less than Robert but not much. Buying that water adds up eventually. (At $2 a bucket that's $28 or so a month) Plus you need to consider the price of the gas to go get it too. RO/DI units can be found for about $100 so it will pay for itself in 4 months or less.

I went through 5 gallons every 2 days with my 125g which is slightly less than Robert but not much. Buying that water adds up eventually. (At $2 a bucket that's $28 or so a month) Plus you need to consider the price of the gas to go get it too. RO/DI units can be found for about $100 so it will pay for itself in 4 months or less.

don't forget $16000 for back surgery in 3 years.

I know it's suprizing....but I have been using TAP water for over 2 years....never bothered with RO/DI....will be taking much better care of the sharks now though as they might actually care if I am using TAP or not.

I know it goes against popular belief....but TAP was worked great for my corals. Don't believe the hype....IMO having to avoid tap is a myth.

TAP water depends on your source, you can get chemical readings for your tapwater by contacting the water dept in your area. You would be surprised at the amount of phosphate, nitrate, copper, etc that is in some tap water. I would rather run mine through my RO/DI then take the risk of introducing some unwanted values into my system.

Additionally tap water isn't reliable even if it does have good readings at the source. If they do bit of construction anywhere near your home it's liable to spike many levels in the tap water that normally would not be high plus the sources for the water often change throughout the year.

I know it's suprizing....but I have been using TAP water for over 2 years....never bothered with RO/DI....will be taking much better care of the sharks now though as they might actually care if I am using TAP or not.

I know it goes against popular belief....but TAP was worked great for my corals. Don't believe the hype....IMO having to avoid tap is a myth.

And you were using tap down there in Cali? My wife won't even drink it there and forget about washing your car with it. You were running a reef system with success on tap? I could see the west Beaverton area doing ok with tds, its good here off the Mckenzie too, but I hear East side PDX and Salem are no Bueno. Heck, when you pull up to the boat launches and they warn you not to swim when its raining/rained...you have to think about our water sources and water sheds.

And you were using tap down there in Cali? My wife won't even drink it there and forget about washing your car with it. You were running a reef system with success on tap? I could see the west Beaverton area doing ok with tds' date=' its good here off the Mckenzie too, but I hear East side PDX and Salem are no Bueno. Heck, when you pull up to the boat launches and they warn you not to swim when its raining/rained...you have to think about our water sources and water sheds.[/quote']

TDS in vancouver is 130-170 and it varies from day to day. today is in the 130's. It is also posted that there is allowed up to 10PPM nitrates in our water.

And you were using tap down there in Cali? My wife won't even drink it there and forget about washing your car with it. You were running a reef system with success on tap? I could see the west Beaverton area doing ok with tds' date=' its good here off the Mckenzie too, but I hear East side PDX and Salem are no Bueno. Heck, when you pull up to the boat launches and they warn you not to swim when its raining/rained...you have to think about our water sources and water sheds.[/quote']

No....in cali I was using actual ocean water, stores carry what is called SCRIPTS water....actual ocen water that is pumped from either 2 or 5 miles out and runs through a crazy sand filter

Sent from my DROID2 using Tapatalk

And you were using tap down there in Cali? My wife won't even drink it there and forget about washing your car with it. You were running a reef system with success on tap? I could see the west Beaverton area doing ok with tds, its good here off the Mckenzie too, but I hear East side PDX and Salem are no Bueno. Heck, when you pull up to the boat launches and they warn you not to swim when its raining/rained...you have to think about our water sources and water sheds.

East side PDX reporting in - haven't seen my tap TDS over 25.