WTB: Bristle worms!!!!!!!!

SquidHC

buy some good seeded live rock from someone out of a refugium or something. catching stuff like that will be hard to do since they hide 95% of the time or wedge themselves in small hard to reach places. if you have an established tank with live rock, chances are you already have a few bristle worms.

I have good established rock' date=' purchased from another reefer. Unfortunately, I have yet to see much life on it.(Other than coraline and macro algea)[/quote']

give it a good month or two. its amazing how much stuff just starts popping out. FYI bristle worms are nocturnal, you will probably only see them if you shut your lights off for a few hours and use a flash light or red LED light. I have them, and i maybe spot one once a month or longer. i also rarely see the little brittle stars, but i have tons of them. the other thing you might want to do is buy some tigger pods and dump them in to get your pod colony established.

Use a flashlight late at night to see if there are any bristle worms. You can also throw a piece of krill on the bottom to help lure them out. If I knew you wanted a few I could have grabbed some the other night (I saw 3 or 4 a few nights ago). I'll keep it in mind and if I get another chance I'll try to get some.

I used to love my bristle worms then they killed my tiny blue tang :-( If I could I would kill them all!!! There are way better clean up crew members like scuds. I know what your all thinking that there is no way they killed my fish but the tiny tang loved to wedge itself in the rocks just were the bristles live. I would see the tang with the hair like bristles on his body every so often after snuggling up with the worms. The area on his body that had had the bristles would have a fungus infection the next day. Every time it cleared up within 24 hours but then one day his entire left side was cover with what looked like a hundred hairs and I new then he would not make it. Sure enough he died the next day. I have seen this happen to other fish as well although never to this extreme and never resulting in death. Just a word of cation.

I used to love my bristle worms then they killed my tiny blue tang :-( If I could I would kill them all!!! There are way better clean up crew members like scuds. I know what your all thinking that there is no way they killed my fish but the tiny tang loved to wedge itself in the rocks just were the bristles live. I would see the tang with the hair like bristles on his body every so often after snuggling up with the worms. The area on his body that had had the bristles would have a fungus infection the next day. Every time it cleared up within 24 hours but then one day his entire left side was cover with what looked like a hundred hairs and I new then he would not make it. Sure enough he died the next day. I have seen this happen to other fish as well although never to this extreme and never resulting in death. Just a word of cation.

I agree too many can be a bad thing, I suspect they killed everything in my tank that liked to hide under a portion of my big flat rock. (peppermint, 2 chromis) bi-color blenny didn't hide in there he is still alive. I saw one grab my peppermints tail one day is why I suspect the worms. You may want to wait and see what becomes of the LR you already have, I started out with only a few and have tons now.

One thing to consider, bristle worms are a general name for a species that vary greatly. Some burrow under the sand and only eat detritus. Some eat algae and some are accomplished predators. Most species are good and beneficial. Some to watch out for are fire worms, but are not very commonly found.

One thing to consider' date=' bristle worms are a general name for a species that vary greatly. Some burrow under the sand and only eat detritus. Some eat algae and some are accomplished predators. Most species are good and beneficial. Some to watch out for are fire worms, but are not very commonly found.[/quote']

All of the above. I have researched to find out that they are NOT fireworms.

Yes, I'm a rookie. (clap)

Well first off, thanks to those who offered me some of there worms! Apparently, there is more here to take into consideration than I had anticipated. I'm going to sit on it for a while, and do a little more reading, before I decide if I should indeed add some to my tank.

I have small feather-duster worms that are overtaking my tank. If you want to come over you can give me $5 and pick out as many of the tubeworms as you want. They are great filter feeders, and kinda cool. They are not fancy colors or anything, just white, but will still pull back into their tube when disturbed. They are probably 1-2 mm in diameter and a couple of inches long each.

One warning, most of them are in a tank that has an algae problem, so they MIGHT bring algae along with them. If your tank has a nutrient problem (like mine does), then you would have an algae bloom. If your tank is low on nutrients then the algae should die off and you should have no problem.

IMG_8549.jpg

Send me a PM if interested

dsoz