Its ALIVE!! 250g tank

Smann

• 2 weeks later...
What kind of fish??

Lets see, I got a few dmasels first, Chromis, the little blue/yelloy guys. They were fine so then two Ocellaris Clowns, a Sailfin Tang, Firefish,Tomini Tang, two Anthias(small pink ones), a Yellow Tang and a Flasher Wrasse. All are doing fine no sign of Ich so far

• 4 months later...

Tank Update

Its been a while since I've updated my tank thread, not to exciting just watching things grow. I did just finish redoing my lighting, I just wasn't happy with my set up. I liked the similar set up in my 180 with a hood 3-175's 2-400's and VHO's but it just wasn't the same, maybe the hood makes a difference, I did have it lined with the reflective metal.

All my old coral seemed to do just fine but a lot of the new Acro's wouldn't keep their color, growth was great, so after changing out bulbs, turning off the 400's I decided I had to try a new light plan.

After spending some time on the phone with Mike from Reef Specialty I decided to go with just the 250's, 20k bulbs and the Lumen Bright Mini Pendants. His main concern was the 36" (front to back) and getting the coverage, I was going to get the bigger ones but he said the light spread was actually better with the mini's

Here is the new light rack, I was going to take out the old one but decided it was going to take longer than a day so I just spent the $80 on new aluminum

newlights4.jpg

Hard to get good exposure on this one!

newlights5.jpg

The new rack is 12" off the top of the tank, 14" to the bulbs. Also I went back to VHO's those are the ballast on the right

newlights7.jpg

The light coverage turned out excellent and the color is just how I like it. The par numbers are better than before with just the 250's and the lights higher. I'm getting around 200+ on the sand bed, around 150- on the sand front and side edges of the tank

newlights3.jpg

Here are some shots with just the VHO's

newlights.jpg

newlights2.jpg

newlights6.jpg

To acclimate the tank to the new light I've set the MH ballast to 50% and will increase over the next few days

Steve

WOW, your tank looks even better then the last time I saw it!!! Just out of curiosity why go with Radiums VS. HQI?

P.S. How do you like the 20k? When I switched to 20k it took a little getting used to, but I love the way it makes the corals pop.

WOW, your tank looks even better then the last time I saw it!!! Just out of curiosity why go with Radiums VS. HQI?

P.S. How do you like the 20k? When I switched to 20k it took a little getting used to, but I love the way it makes the corals pop.

Do you mean SE bulbs VS Dbl end Hqi bulbs, Radium makes both. I've always used SE bulbs, no special reason of course they are definetly BIGGER :)

The 20k are fine, seems that they are not as blue as they used to be, these are actually pretty white!

what bulbs are you using? I am still not sure if I want to run my similar set up at 250 or 400w. I need to get the par meter and some 250w bulbs to measure.

I started with Reflux 12k then recently switched the 250's and 400's to Reflux 20k and the brown outs started to come back. I also have a pair of Radium 400w 20k with about 12 hrs that I put in then decide to turn off the 400's

I have the 12k 250's if you want to borrow one or the 400 also I'll PM about Par measure

"WOW, your tank looks even better then the last time I saw it!!!"

Thanks! its been a while since you've stopped by. The tank will be 9 months running this month.

I also checked the Par #'s on the sides/front surface of the tank before I switched to the pendants and its less than half the light hitting the viewing surfaces

• 2 months later...

Tank questions

Your tank looks fantastic!!

Would you explain how you exhaust the humidity / heat from the room? I see the exhaust fans in the ceiling, but where is the dry cool air coming from to replace the air that you exhaust?

Also, where do you get the aluminum frame to hold your lighting?

Thanks!

Thanks!

There are a few sources of air for the tank room, the chiller/heater is mounted to a hole in the wall to exhaust outside when running so it will draw air in also, I do have a light plastic cover/flap on the outside when it gets cold. The room is part of the house so there is a vent for heat and AC. Right now I have the window open a bit and I leave the patio door open all day and evening when we are home. If the room is closed up it will draw air thru the cabinet doors from the house, this is winter mode and I have to clean the dust rim around the doors weekly.

There is a temp probe from the controller on the ceiling above the MH lights, yesterday the temp reached 102 which was not bad considering the patio door was open so it was just over the outside temp. The humility in the room stays pretty low actually, right now its 53% outside, 55 in the house and 57 in the tank room, when the outside temp drops it usually in the 40's

The aluminum is from Home depot, if you need some I have a 36"x70" rack with cross bars that needs to be scrapped, I'll make you a really good deal on it!

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...