Aptasia

Holly

I've found my first aptasia in my tank... which means there are prob 100,000,000 more in there, right? I tried to remove it, but it shriveled up and seemed to disappear. (cussing)

I have plenty of peppermints already in there. I called FantaSeas and Upscales but neither have copper-banded butterflies in right now.

Any other ideas (until I'm able to get a butterfly)?

copperbanded are hard to keep, I have 2 that Ive had for 3+ weeks.

if the Aip is on a rock you can remove, Id take it out and nuke it with a propain torch. I think this is one of the best solutions. it doesnt harm the rest of the rock, but will for sure cook the crap out of any bit of aip that trys to be left behind. Problem is you either have to drain the tank to torch it, or be able to get the rock out.

The aptasia was attached to the top of a powerhead (at the surface) but disappeared when I tried to pinch it off. It went down into the hole where the plug cord enters the powerhead. I just took the powerhead out and now have it baking under the MHs. That should kill the bugger. (clap)

The location right at the surface is probably why the shrimp didn't get it. Hopefully, if there are any more, they're down low enough to be taken care of by the peppermint.

Wow!

Lucky place to get rid of it easily!

I have two residing among the pipes of a "Pipe coral" and am still trying to figure out the best way to get rid of it without involving pepps.

Why not just shoot with Kalk paste, did you see the last thread about Apps? Use a syringe, it's painless to you, not like when you were a kid :)

http://www.pnwmas.org/forums/showthread.php?t=2176

I'm still gonna go in search of a butterfly today, though, so I can start the quarantine process. Better safe than sorry. Upscales is supposed to be getting a shipment in today, so hopefully they'll have one.

I've never been to Upscales or Waves and would very much like to see them. It's just further from where I live in Salmon Creek WA than some of the other shops...which is why we haven't been. Quite a schlepp

Thanks Queen! Upscales got 3 cb butterflies in, but I snagged up one of them before they'd even been acclimated and put into the tanks. I also got a yellow tang. Those two bonded while I was treating them in the quarantine tank and now they're inseparable.

That yellow sure loves romaine! I have macro in my main tank, and he really enjoys pecking at it too.

CCR - I hadn't thought of that... I only left it under there for about 15min tho. That was enough time to fry it to a crisp. (clap)

I've got like 5 in my tank, I keep my eye on them, but let them be. They have been there for about 8 months too.

Unless they start reproducing like crazy why bother them?

and I would stay away from pepermint shrimp too, I've had bad experience with them ripping through corals to eat their guts after feedings and devouring anemone's and zoos