Advice on Pavona

414driver

Got a large Pavona colony from a pal...it looks like a softie but apparently is an SPS. What light levels does it like? How high in the tank??

What flow???

If you all give me the correct answers you might all share in the frags soon!!

I call it my incentive program!!(whistle)

I have a small piece that I have had for about a year or so. Slow growers, but I didnt realize they needed shade, mines up high. I guess I shade it and see if it picks up a bit.

Seems to be some descrepency on the care of these? I wonder who is correct.

LOL they are pretty hardy corals and even what I have read there is conflicting information but I have found that both the green and orange maldivensis do better in lower light and are a deeper richer color. The green one and the orange one both got bleached out when I had them in less shady spots. They do grow slow though. As with anything there are so many other conditions (lights, water parameters) that it may do different in other people's tanks.

Here's the orange one:

DSC05791ARW.jpg

and the green one:

DSC05790ARW.jpg

I have had many different varieties and have had good luck with them up high, mid level, down low, under 400wers, 150wers, t-5s, and in high flow, low flow, and in tanks with way too many nutrients. Of course I have had varities that do not do so well for whatever reason, no matter where they are placed. I would say start out at a medium level with a medium amount of flow and go from there. Each tank will produce different results and each variety will react differently from one tank to another.