Removing Aiptasia from an Acro

ToxicPoison

I was recently given a tiny acro frag that has been growing quite nicely. The other day I noticed what seemed to be a polyp, that was much longer than the others. Then, I realized it was Aiptasia (flame)

It is actually growing on the coral itself, where it appears to have had RTN previously. It is recovering nicely, but the area around the aiptasia is polyp-less.

Should a freshwater dip kill off the aiptasia? It is pretty tiny at the moment, so I'd like to kill it off quick, without harming the coral. I tried taking a picture, but it's too small to be seen clearly.

(Also, it should be noted the aiptasia most likely came from my tank, and wasn't present on the Coral previously so, it's my own fault.)

HELP!

Don't FW dip the coral!

Maybe you can take the frag out of the tank and scrap off the aptasia. Then cover it with superglue. Should kill the aptasia and the coral should grow over the glue later on.

Just be careful to not damage the coral anymore then you absolutely have to!!!!

Don't FW dip the coral!

Maybe you can take the frag out of the tank and scrap off the aptasia. Then cover it with superglue. Should kill the aptasia and the coral should grow over the glue later on.

Just be careful to not damage the coral anymore then you absolutely have to!!!!

That is what I'm afraid of. The poor thing has been through so much, it seemed to be recovering and then this...

Removing the plug shouldn't be a problem. It should be small enough to scrape off, but...what should I use? A plastic knife?

Thanks for the quick response.

Depending on where it is, like the base being it has already suffered RTN-Dremel the acro and reglue-

I have had a couple acros start to TRN and I took out the Dremel and cut the "good" part away and reattached it-I've done this 4 times and it has worked everytime

If the acro is maricultered or Aquacultured or fragged from an established acro in an existing reef tank-odds are very low it will shock it to death.

Its the fresh "cut"/caught peices that are overly sensitive-IME.

But I have only been doing this for short of 2 years but 90% of what I "do" are Acros.

Maybe post a pic of the entire piece

As much as I would love to burn aiptasia to death' date=' wouldn't that really hurt the acro as well?[/quote']

No just a quick touch in the middle with it being very hot. If you can cut it off (the dead part) re-glue it sealing the cut. Just do that.

Either way you should be good.