dosing pump or reactor???

dee77

They are both valid methods if used well.

Dosing is probably more accurate. The dosing systems usually comes with 3 pumps so you can dose mg too trying to get the best equilibrium.

You will find most of the people here (local forum and US in general) using reactors. You should browse some european websites to find more dosing/balling.

I'm in the process of setting up a dosing pump. I'm having great results with kalk only, but the colonies are growing and I have to manually keep up with mg and alk too often

Why is America last to the party when it comes to reef technology? Why does Europe almost always one up us? huh huh huh Grassi?

The real question is: why Germany is always ahead? They barely have 200 miles of cold water coast lol

• Like 1

SHould have figured I would go against the "odds"

Reactor all the way-but I do have to dose Mg about once a month or 6 weeks.

My reactor keeps my KH and Ca locked in exactely where I want it but I do also have an Apex controller-

Set it and forget-no mess-no fuss-only 1000.00 start up cost-(laugh) (if you buy brand new)

SHould have figured I would go against the "odds"

Reactor all the way-but I do have to dose Mg about once a month or 6 weeks.

My reactor keeps my KH and Ca locked in exactely where I want it but I do also have an Apex controller-

Set it and forget-no mess-no fuss-only 1000.00 start up cost-(laugh) (if you buy brand new)

sounds like you need a dosing pump for mag. ;)

As for the cost, the setup cost for a dosing system is a little bit cheaper (about 30%). But you are gonna spend more later for the chemicals with dosing.

If you buy good quality products, both the dosing and reactors are kinda "set and forget". They require some maintenance, like every piece of equipment in this hobby.

With some tuning you will be able to keep akl, ph, ca and mg where you want. I think it is just a manner of personal choice.

Seems you had a ca reactor already, maybe it is time to try something new.

As for pictures, you should ask Danik. If I remember well he was setting up a nice dosing setup.

As for the cost, the setup cost for a dosing system is a little bit cheaper (about 30%). But you are gonna spend more later for the chemicals with dosing.

If you buy good quality products, both the dosing and reactors are kinda "set and forget". They require some maintenance, like every piece of equipment in this hobby.

With some tuning you will be able to keep akl, ph, ca and mg where you want. I think it is just a manner of personal choice.

Seems you had a ca reactor already, maybe it is time to try something new.

As for pictures, you should ask Danik. If I remember well he was setting up a nice dosing setup.

yes i have a nice reactor but i need a new tank and regulator so im wondering if i shold get the new regulator and tank and then what about dosing for alk and mag??

Dosing

I dose with three litermeter 3 pumps with bulk reef supply 3 part. I am setting up my system again and I will show you a pic soon.

The advantage of the litermeter versus the other dosers is the ability to calibrate your dosing pumps, computer controlled adjustment of amounts and it is dosed something like 190 times during the day. They are truly a set and forget it item.

They are considerably more expensive than most other dosing systems but to me it is worth it.

I have always used a reactor, I am thinking about going to dosing the three part but in the meantime they now have Mag media for the Calcium reactor which I just started using. I have a Litermeter III I use for auto water change I can use.

I would also like to see any setup for dosing, containers,etc

ok thanks for all the help i think i might get my reactor back up and runing and thwen dose for mag and alk

You shouldn't need to dose Alk when running a Calcium reactor. When set the effulent should be very high 18-20+ Dkh. You would adjust the reactor flow, time, etc to maintain the Alk you want. The Mag media for the reactor is fairly new you might give it a try

You shouldn't need to dose Alk when running a Calcium reactor. When set the effulent should be very high 18-20+ Dkh. You would adjust the reactor flow' date=' time, etc to maintain the Alk you want. The Mag media for the reactor is fairly new you might give it a try[/quote']

so i can add that in with the calcium??

so i can add that in with the calcium??

Its a similar looking media as the argonite, the instructions say how much to add. There are alot of good articles on maintaining Alk and Calcium with reactors/dosing avaiable on the net, WWM, RC Chemistry forum