D-D H2Ocean salt - chalky residue?

jackaninny

Anyone else get a chalky residue when mixing D-D H2Ocean salt? I get the residue as a bud up on my mixing pump, heater and in the bucket. It's sort of grayish to tan. I'm only mixing 5 gal at a time and I add the salt nice and slow and do it after water gets to temp. Ideas?

you should be filtering your salt mix through a sock before it goes into the bucket. you would be surprised how much junk you can get out of a bucket of saltmix. i use h2 ocean pro plus as well and i don't have any problems with it doing it this way, but i also mix up 50 gallons at a time and let it stir / aerate for 24 hours.

I contacted him to see how much we would have to order to get a break on shipping. He never got back to me. Dr Fosters only charges $8 to ship and I think you can order several containers at that cost. The charge for Gettanked was around $35 just for the shipping.

Do you know of any group order details?

Last time I used 'bucket salt' my mg skyrocketed. Even though I had mixed and rolled etc, it still settled. I just prefer a smaller bag of salt to mix up to avoid such issues. I have a gettanked shipment on the way and will mix up a 5 galllon bucket of slurry (I only do 5-10g water changes a week).

• 1 month later...

H2Ocean salt often has a bit of ferric oxide (rowaphos) in the calcium they use. The residue is this ferric oxide.

I would suspect it goes for the other salts too, but I only know specifically of the H2Ocean having trace amounts of this in the calcium that is used to bump the numbers after its dehydrated.