Tang

CoralCrazy

Heather' date=' set it up as a QT tank and put him in HYPO for 6 weeks, he'll be completely cured of ich at the end of the HYPO procedure.[/quote']

We just did this with a little black clown, and she's totally recovered and happy now. It works!

Gillian

Tangs are prone to ICK and with my experiences with them most of the time they will come down with ICK once in your tank do to the stress of being caught, taken to your house then into your tank. If your tank is all good, you have good husbandry and there are no fish giving it a bad time, then it should go away on it's own. A cleaner shrimp is always fun to watch when it cleans a fish of ICK.

I would bet that if your tang eats he will beat ich' date=' otherwise nobody would own a tang due to they almost all get ich.[/quote']

I have seriously killed about 20 tangs in 4 different tanks over a few years, all different kinds and sizes. they all died from ich. some in a matter of a few days, others took several weeks. i have tried nearly everything from waiting it out to dosing all kinds of meds reef safe, to copper. hypo salinity. I've only had 2 come out of it and they are still alive to this day. one however has contracted ich again so its on its 2nd bout. I feed garlic in all my food every time. I think i have some sort of super ich. I completly tore down my 120, its sitting empty right now so i can kill the ich that was in the water column. Some people get lucky, others like me have a heck of time with it.

I have seriously killed about 20 tangs in 4 different tanks over a few years' date=' all different kinds and sizes. they all died from ich. some in a matter of a few days, others took several weeks. i have tried nearly everything from waiting it out to dosing all kinds of meds reef safe, to copper. hypo salinity. I've only had 2 come out of it and they are still alive to this day. one however has contracted ich again so its on its 2nd bout. I feed garlic in all my food every time. I think i have some sort of super ich. I completly tore down my 120, its sitting empty right now so i can kill the ich that was in the water column. Some people get lucky, others like me have a heck of time with it.[/quote']

well hopefully we are luckier than you. I would hate to lose this tang. Hes still just as active and eating wonderfully. Hopefully he will do fine. The LFS said they had him for 2 weeks with no problems. And he showed no signs until today. Ive been trying to keep his tank half dark and the other side with just the 50/50 bulb on. Also told all the neighbor kids that hes in timeout so they will stay away from that tank. I figure little fingers on the glass wouldnt be a good idea at this point.

best bet is to keep him eating alot, keep your water parameters spot on and not fluctuating. dose heavy garlic. i have also had better luck with marine max as well, but make sure you dose stability and watch for ph swings if medicating. the worst is when they get secondary infections from itching. once it gets that, its usually all over.

My experience has been that as long as they are still eating and swimming, they should recover. I have been told that ich is like the flu to us. Sometimes it kills, most times it gets better. My Purple Tang, Prince, recovered fully and is doing very well today, more than a year and a half after he looked like this:

3526844642_841f746b6a.jpg

I had at least 8 other fish in the tank at the time and none of them came down with ich, even with him in the tank. I have had no other outbreaks and have gone thru 2 tank upgrades since this pic was taken. The only thing I did was feed garlic soaked food and used UV. My recomendation would be to wait it out and make sure he keeps eating.

Good Luck

My experience has been that as long as they are still eating and swimming, they should recover. I have been told that ich is like the flu to us. Sometimes it kills, most times it gets better. My Purple Tang, Prince, recovered fully and is doing very well today, more than a year and a half after he looked like this:

3526844642_841f746b6a.jpg

I had at least 8 other fish in the tank at the time and none of them came down with ich, even with him in the tank. I have had no other outbreaks and have gone thru 2 tank upgrades since this pic was taken. The only thing I did was feed garlic soaked food and used UV. My recomendation would be to wait it out and make sure he keeps eating.

Good Luck

consider yourself lucky, i've lost several clowns, puffer fish and even an indestructible damsel to ich outbreaks that came from one tang that didn't show signs of ich in the tank until bout a week after introduction, was eating frozen mysis and nori. the entire tank died within 3 weeks of infection. All i did was dose garlic food and waited. I gotta get me a UV. that may help me kill it. its the only thing i have not yet tried.

So I think I'm going to go buy a cleaner shrimp to put in the tank with him to see if this will help. He is still swimming around and eating very well. He does like to rub on the sand bed about 5 to 6 times a day. Just want to make sure I'm not doing anything wrong with introducing the shrimp.

Just lost my last onyx clown this morning to ich. this time i tried garlic, no carbon, no filter sock with a skimmer only, and a product called chem-marin parasite. my hippo tang has ich as well and will probably come out of it. the parasite product definitely helped the fish slime coat over quicker which is good because it makes the parasite fall off faster and protects the fish from secondary infection. The clown was over 2 years old. the tang is almost 3. i hate ich.