Peppermint MIA

Jules

i've been through about 15 peppermint shrimp this year. some just die, some live, most of my peppermint shrimp are nocturnal. if you have other tank mates that are active, the shrimp will hide. its not uncommon for me to go an entire week without seeing one, then all the sudden they pop up. it is highly unlikely a hermit could catch the shrimp unless its sick but i wouldn't put it past them to at least try if it was big enough crab.

Hmm, if it is hiding he is doing a very good job, I hope he didn't get out somehow, I checked inside the HOB and didn't see him. Not on the floor. He usually comes out and eats with everyone else in the morning though. Weird. Thanks everyone, I will check more while lights out and just wait and see.

I guess I can get my cleaner shrimp if he doesn't show himself ever again. :D

Looks like I will be getting that cleaner shrimp sometime. I lost my big babylonia snail today, I thought it was just stuck but when I flipped it over a bristle worm shrunk back in it's shell. My pepp could of died because of insufficient food. I don't know. I saw a worm grab it one time a long time ago too but it moved so quick I didn't think anything of it. Or, since the lfs fed it aptasia, I didn't spot feed it, maybe it starved like i think the snail did. (not much algae and no fuge to put it in) Live and learn right? Anywho, Everything else is doing fine.

peppermint shrimp are omnivores so they should feed on anything they find, not just aiptasia and this won't be the last snail that dies for no reason in your tank. my tank floor has several empties and a few hermits like the margarita shells. I don't invest high dollars into snails. get the cheapest ones that eat algae and paint their shells with fingernail polish if you want a little more color.

well what other creatures do you have in ur tank? some fish and inverts like to pick on shrimps. some shrimp just die, stress, molting what not.

I don't feed my shrimp. the scavenges on the rocks and sand. I don't have any glass anemones.. My shrimp most of them are over two years. But they don't live too long normally. He most likely died and your other scavengers ate him. thats normally what happens.

My shrimp always come out when its feeding time as long as I step a bit away from my tanks. Id just suggest another shrimp. cleaners and peppermints are great.. If you like to get rid of some of your brissle worms I hear coral banded shrimp love to eat them. I myself like my tiger pistol shrimp with my goby. they really keep my sand in my tank clean. but they often will eat another shrimp. Unless you have a big tank where both can be co- exsist and never meet... I had a camel shrimp and he was always out for about two years never had a problem with him, but I have heard they can some time go after green mushrooms. Mine never did... But im sure there are alot of options...

well what other creatures do you have in ur tank? some fish and inverts like to pick on shrimps. some shrimp just die, stress, molting what not.

I don't feed my shrimp. the scavenges on the rocks and sand. I don't have any glass anemones.. My shrimp most of them are over two years. But they don't live too long normally. He most likely died and your other scavengers ate him. thats normally what happens.

My shrimp always come out when its feeding time as long as I step a bit away from my tanks. Id just suggest another shrimp. cleaners and peppermints are great.. If you like to get rid of some of your brissle worms I hear coral banded shrimp love to eat them. I myself like my tiger pistol shrimp with my goby. they really keep my sand in my tank clean. but they often will eat another shrimp. Unless you have a big tank where both can be co- exsist and never meet... I had a camel shrimp and he was always out for about two years never had a problem with him, but I have heard they can some time go after green mushrooms. Mine never did... But im sure there are alot of options...

The only creatures in my tank are 2 chromis, a bi color blenny and that hermit I just got, not counting the millions of pods, 6 cerith snails and tons of bristle worms. I guess it was just his time to go. I like the idea of getting the shrimp to get rid of some worms. But I wouldn't mind nice clean sand either. (scratch) Would I have to get my corals off the sand? I have 2 mushrooms and some small zoa's on the bottom.

The only creatures in my tank are 2 chromis' date=' a bi color blenny and that hermit I just got, not counting the millions of pods, 6 cerith snails and tons of bristle worms. I guess it was just his time to go. I like the idea of getting the shrimp to get rid of some worms. But I wouldn't mind nice clean sand either. (scratch) Would I have to get my corals off the sand? I have 2 mushrooms and some small zoa's on the bottom.[/quote']

If you have a bristle worm population problem with that few of inhabitants, your probably overfeeding. bristle worms come and go with the food sources. they will die off naturally. i only feed once every other day, just enough for the fish to eat 3-5 minutes. if you want clean sand, get your water flow up, buy 3-5 nassarius snails and a sand sifting goby. my dragon goby keeps my sand very well sifted.

Thanks for that it sounds like really good advice. :) I probably do overfeed, or/and I need to get better food. It seems a lot is getting ignored and they are picking through it and letting a lot go. I havent given it much thought as the food goes till lately, that has been happening.

Flow? I have a nano koralia, in a 12g do you think another would be okay. I thought it would be too much but on the other hand there is places with barely any flow at the bottom. Lots to think about, but yeah, good ideas all around. Thanks!

I have a 12 gallon tank with a 90 gallon eheim canister filter. you can never have enough filteration. The way I always see it. In nature the reef may be constantly having waves crash upon it. so water flow is normally never an issue. However if you have a coral that doesnt see to like the current that is often solved by just moving the coral. Most tanks no matter what you seem to do always have water dead spots.

I think with what you have in your tank, the shrimp just died, and your crabs just ate him/her. I do love my tiger pistol shrimp though...http://www.aboutfishonline.com/articles/tiger-pistol-shrimp.html

heres a pic of the shrimp. they are about an inch sizes about. huge red antienie. very active.. though it took him about a week to come out of hiding. now I have these cute little tunnels in my tank. its neat to watch. May I also state that I did buy my shrimp and goby seperate and they found each other within an half hour. the pistol shrimp taps on the rock and the goby comes runny. they hide in the same holes and often my goby stands watch through the day outside the hole

I also have a randall pistol shrimp. they are smaller and he has his own goby. a different breed goby. both in the same tank. Its a 20 gallon. they never mess with each other. One set is on each side of the tank. heres a pic http://www.freshmarine.com/randall-pistol-shrimp.html