Monti cap question

reef165

Ok, I've got a purple cap that is growing great, great color and all but I have noticed yellow spots on it. If I had a camera that could get a pic of it I would post one but I don't. Wondering if there are yellow bugs, or if there could be a morph? The spots don't move.

I've heard of (had) Red bugs on acros. Do monti's get the same bugs? I dipped in Coral RX and then fresh water and haven't seen them since. I also bought a "Interceptor" tablet for them but never used it.

You could have the tablet, but you need to read up on it or get some good advice from others because I think it kills all crustaceans.

Well, I say I have bugs because I looked closer at my acros and saw some on them aswell and saw a couple moving. What I have is yellow, I havent been able to see any kind of head or legs on them but most of my corals are fairly deep into the tank and the spots of yellow are so small it's hard to get a good look at them. What do the nudis look like?

I've heard of (had) Red bugs on acros. Do monti's get the same bugs? I dipped in Coral RX and then fresh water and haven't seen them since. I also bought a "Interceptor" tablet for them but never used it.

You could have the tablet, but you need to read up on it or get some good advice from others because I think it kills all crustaceans.

I may take you up on that Interseptor, do you know the dosage for it?

I have also read that Dragonface Pipefish will help controle them. Dose anyone know of a store that has one?

I also read that people are having good luck with getting rid of the red bugs by lowering the water temp to 70 deg for a couple hours, How would I go about doing that? with out a chiller.

red bugs are easy to get rid of...they only get onto smooth skin acros, not monti's.

FORGET lowering your temps...why put all the corals at risk when you are trying to rid one species of a nuisance?

here is the article for the proven effective treatment link

Your snails should be fine, clams and brittle stars will also be fine, but any and all crabs should be removed prior to treatment with interceptor, or you will watch them slowly die. Your pods will also die, but they regenerate very quickly. I would HIGHLY recommend treating multiple times, because if you don't, they will come back...guaranteed. The treatment is super easy to do...

remove carbon, and GFO...treat tank, leave in for about 8 hours, then do a 25% water change and put in fresh carbon.

The hardest part can be getting the Interceptor, but most vets will give it to you if you show them Melev's article...I had to sign a waiver when I did my first treatment about 8 months ago...but they gave it to me.

Redbugs and AEFW do not eat montis no way no how. You are not seeing redbugs or AEFW, so an interceptor treatment will only give you more headaches. Oh, and you will still have to deal with the AEFW/nudis (whatever it is you have) after you kill off all your pods, bristleworms, hermits, shrimp and snails with interceptor.