Montipora?

ReefSafari

Ok...so please forgive me for my ignorance, I tried searching on the web to find a ID for these...and thought I would post them on here and see what you guys thought.

I was told one was a Montipora Capricornis...Which I believe, the other I was told was the same thing, but it does look a little different...I know these are HORRIBLE pics, but would love to hear some opinions...if you think they are both Montipora Capricornis, just different variations of the same thing, or if they are different from each other...

This one has actual polyps that are visiable to the naked eye...I will call this one "A"...

P6110066.jpg

This one has no polyps visable that I can see...And I will call this one "B"...

P6110063.jpg

Are they both the same thing? Or are they different? and if they are different what do you think they are?

A. Looks pretty close to M. Capricornis. You'll know for sure in another 1-3 months.

B. I have no clue. It looks like it will grow into a sweet piece.

Thanks, So on "A" in 1-3 months what would I be looking for to confirm its a M. Capricornis? Are they fast growers?

Yeah it looks like a cap to me. Its it starting to grow out or encrust??

Thanks for the reply, They seem to be growing out, not really encrusting...they are just slightly different colors, but I was guessing that could be due to different lighting/water chemistry/ect...But piece "A" has actual polyps that I can see, where piece "B" has none that I can see...They are from two different sources...I just saw them and thought I would give them a try...

I am not a huge SPS guy, and frankly thought I probably wouldn't be able to keep them, but I do have a Pink birds nest frag that I found in a bad of zoanthids that was still alive, and I just couldn't through it away, so I glued it to a rock, and its grown quite a bit, so it seems I can at least keep them alive...So I thought I would give these a try...

I don't know if this is laughable or not, but I think its cool...I bought some Zoanthids from one of the local Portland Shops, and I guess when they scooped up the frag plug there was a loose little chunck of Pink birds nest that was accidently scooped up with the plug, when I got home I noticed this little chuck in the bag with the Zoanthids...it wasn't attached to anything...I could see the polyps on it so I knew it was alive, I felt I probably didn't have the right setup for SPS, but I just didn't have the heart to throw it away, so I figured I would give it a shot...

Here is the little chunck about 3 months ago or so...

UnknownSPS.jpg

I will try and get a better pic of it, but you can see the same peice (I actually moved it quickly away from the Zoanthids)...here is what it looks like today, To me it has grown quite a bit...I was actually really suprised...I don't know how fast SPS corals grow....and figured they would take a VERY long time to notice any growth, I am guessing this is a pretty hardy SPS and a fast grower.....but its been really cool watching it grow...Its still alive and seems to be doing well...so I guess my tank is not too bad of a setup...(scratch)

You can see it in the upper right...how much it has grown..I will try and get some better pics of it...

P6080012.jpg

So...from what I have read, the SPS I have are some of the easiest and best for beginer SPS people like me...I hope the new Montipora? I got do well for me like this birds nest has...I don't think I could ever do just SPS though, I like everything else too much...lol, like the Soft corals and LPS's...

Yah they both look like monti caps to me.

Nice score on the birdsnest. They grow quick and are pretty easy to keep, same with the montis. Looks like you are doing the right things!! Keep it up :D

Cool, Thanks for the reply...

I was pretty stoked about the birdsnest...

It should start to look like this

:eek: WOW...thats awsome...I can't wait!