Grassi's 3 gallons Pico Reef

grassi

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Looks Awsome! I personally like the dark black sand, once you put some bright corals in there they will POP! against the darker substrate and rock. Thats a pretty cool Pico for sure! Keep us posted as you start adding things to it, I can't wait to see what it looks like when its filled up:D

There will probably be a "bonsai" rockscaping with a few corals and sexy shrimps. Not sure about the corals, but for sure there will be my mini carpet anemones.

Just a heads up.... I just removed two sexy shrimp from my tank after watching them eat my xenia, then move on to my SPS corals after the xenia was removed. Maybe I got the only two that hadn't read all the books saying they are supposed to be reef safe, or maybe it was because I have no anemone for them to be preoccupied with. Either way, they were little terrors.

I was about to tear the rock work apart to get them out, when I had a stroke of genius while doing a water change. Took the hose and sucked the little monsters right into the bucket. They didn't know what hit 'em. Garrett has also witnessed his sexy shrimp eating xenia. Just thought it was worth mentioning. At least they won't be hard to remove from a tank that small if they do become a problem.

Nice tank!

Thanks to all the nice comments to both the little tank and my body-builder-renaissance style picture.

This morning the tank's water is more clear and it looks awesome. I will have to step back from a Mj 600 to a 400. Too much flow as you can see here:

IMG_4991.JPG

I will have to try different combinations and try to have the bigger rock on the left to extend outside the water level. I'm still torn about the mangroves: top of the rock or in the back chambers? Note the little rock in the front, it is an almost exact copy of the big one in the back. I was keeping them in my sump for this pico project:

IMG_4992.JPG

This pic of the sump shows the live rock. I will add some more later on. Also there will be cheato on top of it, and probably a micro bag of lignite

IMG_4993.jpg

As for the shrimps, the mini carpet anemones should keep them busy. Also I'm on the market for a maxi-mini nem. I have tons of xenia in case: cheap food lol

Staying in touch with your feminine side

Thanks to all the nice comments to both the little tank and my body-builder-renaissance style picture.

This morning the tank's water is more clear and it looks awesome. I will have to step back from a Mj 600 to a 400. Too much flow as you can see here:

IMG_4991.JPG

As for the shrimps, the mini carpet anemones should keep them busy. Also I'm on the market for a maxi-mini nem. I have tons of xenia in case: cheap food lol

Tank is looking great!

Okay Alex this should help you stay in touch with your femine side:

Here's the Maxi:

maxipad.jpg

And here is the Mini:

minpad.jpg

Ahahhahah.... Fun.... I'm right now working on a organic feminine hygiene website.

I know all about tampons, pads, night pads and such.

I even had to assist to a demonstration: believe or not they have crash test dummies for pads!

Ahahhahah.... Fun.... I'm right now working on a organic feminine hygiene website.

I know all about tampons, pads, night pads and such.

I even had to assist to a demonstration: believe or not they have crash test dummies for pads!

(laugh) Crash test dummies for feminine hygeine products?!!!rofl

Oh to have seen that demonstration!(laugh)

Alex you truly are the forum Renaissance metrosexual!(laugh)

• 3 weeks later...

this tank is even cooler looking up close and personal. Its really going to be neat to see the end result. I'd like to see a 1" blue maxima clam in there or you could put in a carpet anemone that spans from one side to the next. :) Always fun to go to alex's house to see what cool thing he's doing next. thanks for the hammer frag too.

Every time I saw the olive garden commercial I cry. Same for Lidia's Italy!

Gallina is a hen :)

LOL!

If you really want to sob uncontrollably, just eat there! Someone gave me a gift certificate (I guess they hated me). So far removed from even mediocre Italian fare it is a crime.

Thanks reefit! It is always nice to chat with you.

Franklin, show up at my house and you will taste a pasta triptych that you will never forget!

Mick, I always had the idea of opening a restaurant in this food oriented town. 2 months ago I had a friend of mine and fellow chef visit me and considering the possibility to do something together in Portland. He loved the place and he ended up saying that we already have the best food we can desire. I think he was just scared by the idea of putting chicken in the pasta ragu' or cooking pizza with pinapple on top lol

Yes. You are freaking! (nutty)

Au contraire mon frere! The fettucinni Alfredo is freakin awesome at Olive Garden. (rock2)Stop being such a snob!(laugh)Did not much care for the Spaghetti in Italy, sorry Alex. Beth makes some awesome spaghetti! They don't load it up with meat like they do here! Loved the the sub sandwiches and espressos though!

You know... we don't even have an "alfredo sauce". I mean, there is a restaurant in Rome that does a "Fettuccine Alfredo", but it is not as famous as it is here.

I never been at Olive Gardens to be honest. Jamie is scared that I will fly back to Italy screaming. A good real italian in town is Piazza Italia.

Problem is that most of the italian restaurant here are based on southern italian cooking, with the exception of some Piedmontese places. You gotta know how we cook in northern Italy as well :)