Plan to catch the Fastest Damsel fish in Oregon

jackaninny

I have a damsel that's become a bad tank neighbor for the rest of the fish in my little Biocube 29. While my rockwork looks great it actually functions better as a fish bunker and I'm quite sure I'm not going to net the little sucker. I think the best plan might be to drain the tank down to a few inches of water - grab him and then use a pump to refill the tank. Maybe I expose everything for 5-10 minutes during the empty and re-fill process.

Does this sound like a good plan?

Anyone have a smaller fish trap that I could use in my Biocube 29?

Most corals should be fine for anything less than 30 minutes.

For an extreme story... once, I left a rock of zoas out overnight after fragging. Put them back in the tank hoping for the best and they were all out and happy the next day.

dsoz

I was at SWF last night and he could only find his large trap which too big for my tank. I'm going to check out YouTube although I think the drain the tank is going to be the least hassle and the fastest.

Least hassle, but most intrusive and upsetting. I bet that DIY trap will work. I hate damsels too. took me 3 months to finally get mine out.

If the BC29 is a model with a halide, be sure to turn the lights off or the coral can dry out. That would be bad.

Do you have a lot of sponge on your rocks? Most people are deathly afraid to take sponge out of the water because it may die. You may want to consider this in your plan.

Also, if you wait for night time, most fish tend to "fall asleep" when it is dark. If you give your tank 30 minutes of dark before you start, the fish may be a little easier to catch. I have picked up fish with my hands when the tank is dark. Just don't have bright room lights and the fish will continue to sleep. As soon as there is a lot of light, the fish will wake up and be as active as ever.

dsoz

Most corals should be fine for anything less than 30 minutes.

For an extreme story... once, I left a rock of zoas out overnight after fragging. Put them back in the tank hoping for the best and they were all out and happy the next day.

dsoz

Ya but isnt that a missnomer since a lot of Zoas live in tidal flats and have evolved to put up with just such a mistake? Im not sure xenia could be left out over night?

Just reporting back that draining the tank was 100x easier that trying to net that little bugger. Got it down to about 3 inches - saw the target in an open corner and scooped him up. Put the siphon hose on the pump already waiting in the trashcan and pumped it all back in. Total time was <15 minutes. All the corals perked back up really quick even the Duncans that looked totally pathetic out of water.