Can snails bring in ick?

impur

I think my clowns have ick. The female has a spot on her jaw, and then today looks like a spot near her tail, the male seems to have one on his upper lip. The only thing i've added to my tank is snails. Can snails bring ick to the tank? I have never had ick with these 2 fish and no fish have been with them for at least a year.

Next question. I have some garlic tablets that i crushed up and dissolve in some tank water. Then i'm soaking the food in that and adding some selcon. Can I beat ick this way? Or do i need to QT them?

Good Question. The water they came in may very well have had it. I'm not sure if the garlic will rid it, but try it. I would change the tank temp. If you can get them out, and have a QT, then it will give you more options, as a change in salinity, lower to .20

I believe they can. Along with anything "live" you add to the tank (rock, sand, crabs, snails).

I had an outbreak of ich in a tank that had been fine for years after adding and emerald crab and a few frags.

Not sure if I want to set up a QT tank for frags, because you'd have to leave them in there for six weeks to be sure there's no more ich, which means needing another good light!

sheesh lots of reading out there. Hypo, garlic, ginger, maracyn, copper, culpramin..........

ugh what a pain. I QT/dip all corals and fish. Then i add some freakin snails and get ich.

I'm flippin mad.

(flame) (flame) (flame) (flame) (flame) (flame) (flame) (flame) (flame) (flame) (flame) (flame) (flame) (flame) (flame) (flame) (flame) (flame) (flame) (flame) (flame) (flame) (flame) (flame) (flame) (flame) (flame) (flame) (flame) (flame) (flame) (flame) (flame) (flame) (flame) (flame) (flame) (flame) (flame) (flame) (flame) (flame) (flame) (flame) (flame) (flame) (flame) (flame) (flame) (flame) (flame) (flame) (flame) (flame) (flame) (flame) (flame) (flame) (flame) (flame) (flame) (flame) (flame) (flame) (flame) (flame) (flame) (flame) (flame) (flame) (flame) (flame) (flame) (flame) (flame) (flame) (flame) (flame) (flame) (flame) (flame) (flame) (flame) (flame) (flame) (flame) (flame) (flame) (flame) (flame) (flame) (flame) (flame) (flame) (flame) (flame) (flame) (flame) (flame) (flame) (flame) (flame) (flame) (flame) (flame) (flame) (flame) (flame) (flame) (flame) (flame) (flame) (flame) (flame) (flame) (flame) (flame) (flame) (flame) (flame) (flame) (flame) (flame) (flame) (flame) (flame) (flame) (flame)(flame) (flame) (flame) (flame) (flame) (flame) (flame) (flame) (flame) (flame) (flame) (flame) (flame) (flame) (flame) (flame) (flame) (flame) (flame) (flame) (flame) (flame) (flame) (flame) (flame) (flame) (flame) (flame) (flame) (flame) (flame) (flame) (flame) (flame) (flame) (flame) (flame) (flame) (flame) (flame) (flame) (flame) (flame) (flame) (flame) (flame) (flame) (flame) (flame) (flame) (flame) (flame) (flame) (flame) (flame) (flame) (flame) (flame) (flame) (flame) (flame) (flame) (flame) (flame) (flame) (flame) (flame) (flame) (flame) (flame) (flame) (flame)

If i can kick it with garlic, and later down the line say in 2-3 months i buy a new fish. I'll definately QT the new fish for a month first, but when i add this fish won't it get ich too?

It might very well get ich then, if it's at all stressed.

Best would be to QT your current fish now and do the hypo treatment (or whichever treatment you decide on) and then qt anything new you plan on adding (including snails, I guess).

Or run UV on the main tank.

It is possible for just about anything you put in your tank to bring ick into the system. Since snails are wild caught they can be carrying parasites around with them. That is why we don't keep any fish in with our corals or invertebrates but unless the snail or coral has been in our system for about 30 days it can carry parasites with it.

from what i understand you can never get rid of ick, just when the fish are happy and not stressed they can protect themselves. I had a bad case a wile back and QT'd all my fish for 8 weeks in copper and treated the tank with kick ick. just hours after adding the fish they showed signs again.

from what i understand you can never get rid of ick' date=' just when the fish are happy and not stressed they can protect themselves. I had a bad case a wile back and QT'd all my fish for 8 weeks in copper and treated the tank with kick ick. just hours after adding the fish they showed signs again.[/quote']

It's kind of like us where we've got bacteria all over us. Do a swab on the outside of your nose and you'll find streptococcal bacteria, you don't always have strep throat though and you wouldn't notice it's presence. It's just opportunistic; when the environment is right, it strikes.

The way I heard is that ich can't survive in a tank without fish hosts, and if you qt the fish and treat with hypo, the ich dies.

In that case, unless you introduce ich again (on rock, sand, new fish, frags, snails etc.) there shouldn't be any ich in your tank.

Of course, most of us don't quarantine crabs, snails, frags etc., so it's only a matter of time before the conditions for ich to strike are right again.

The way I heard is that ich can't survive in a tank without fish hosts, and if you qt the fish and treat with hypo, the ich dies.

QUOTE]

True, but I thought I've read in the past that tangs carry ich; hence why they keep getting it over and over again, even after QT, treatment and such. The jury may still be out on that one.