To cover or not to cover. That's the question

Hi there, I'm getting back into this after many years just having fish only and I previously was using some egg crate to cover the tank. I think I had a jumper in there previously. But now, it looks better and gets better light distribution if I don't have the egg crate on the top of the tank. Do I need to cover?

Tank list of inhabitants:

Maroon clown

Bicolor blenny

purple spotted goby

blue tang

purple pseudochromis

Hermits, snails etc cleanup

You don't have to cover it, but you take the chance that a fish will jump out. Being it just doesn't like the water or tank or it is being chased or startled.

There are other options that 1/4 plastic screen and make a frame for it. Other is make a hood for the lights and that will stop em as well.

I have lost a few gobies before, they love to jump and startle easy. I take the egg crate and cut out sections with a pair of dikes in random areas to let more light through. I have also only had problems with them jumping out at night so i usually uncover during the day hours especially once the fish have established and become settled.

DIY Screen

I just built these last weekend. I bought the nylon mesh from another reefer from another forum-the screen mesh was 11 dollars shipped priority which was 5.00 in its self. He could have mailed it 1st class in an envelope for a buck.

The egg crate or "light diffuser" can shade the light which is why I chose to go this route.

I asked and he said he has enough mesh for everyone in Oregon-LOL

I got the frame material at HD and all for screens ran me 20.00 bucks I figured. I made it the way I did so I can remove the front sections for target feeding.

I was going to post up a thread letting folks know about it but got busy and figured-NAH :p

I don't have fish that are known jumpers but then again O had a flamehawk that went carpet surfing and those guys are not known as jumpers.

Better safe than sorry-I would hate to see my mystery wrasse carpet surfing-plus I am thinking of adding a blue spot jawfish-known jumpers.

I remember asking someone "does that fish jump?" the answers was "all fish can jump"

Point made

P1100986.jpg

P1100989.jpg

I have lost a few gobies before' date=' they love to jump and startle easy. I take the egg crate and cut out sections with a pair of dikes in random areas to let more light through. I have also only had problems with them jumping out at night so i usually uncover during the day hours especially once the fish have established and become settled.[/quote']

Welcome aboard Reefit!

Here is a better shot;

P1100991.jpg

• Like 1

Hi there, I'm getting back into this after many years just having fish only and I previously was using some egg crate to cover the tank. I think I had a jumper in there previously. But now, it looks better and gets better light distribution if I don't have the egg crate on the top of the tank. Do I need to cover?

There are a couple of alternatives using eggcrate that will still work well to help prevent jumping and to keep the light. I actually use both myself.

1: Use chrome eggcrate instead of white. Effectively this causes more light to be directed into the tank (less spillover) and it actually makes it brighter.

2: Cut out all but the outer 3 or 4 inches to create a border around the top. (The center section of my tank is this way as I didn't have enough of the expensive chrome eggcrate to do all three) This will not eliminate all jumpers but it will help. My snowflake eel would invariably poke his head up through the eggcrate edges (especially after feeding) but never tried to jump out the center.