D.I.Y. auto top off furniture

newfisher

2010-05-08173838.jpg

I wanted to share an auto top off ( ATO ) system that I built to serve 2 purposes. First, to keep from comming home every day and feel like I'm tied to the tanks. I had previously had to check the water level in the sump first ,before getting to just sit down and enjoy them. For those who have ato's I think you know the relief one of these simple systems, no matter how you plumb them, can make you feel about your tanks. Second, I needed end tables between the classic shaped living room with the L shaped love seat/couch configuration. I have a couch on a wall and the 49g corner bow tank on one side and the 40g cylinder tank on the other. I nneded something round that would hold at least 5g's of water and look nice so here are a few "phone pic's" of what I came up with.

Here is the finished product between the couch and one of the tanks. Its a 12x12 3/8 acrylic pad that I routed the edges and polished. A 8" diam. 24" long 3/8 acrylic tube was welded or glued to the pad, off center to make room for the JBJ controller in the back. I went to the local sign company and bought 24" gloss black vinyl and wrapped both tubes. I left the bases clear to blend in with the floor and not look so bulky. I have another routed and polished "lid" on top with a locater bar glued in the center to keep the lid from sliding off the tube. I painted the underside of the lid which makes it look gloss black when installed.

Here are 2 tubes cut,wrapped with vinyl and the fittings installed. I chose to use a 1/2 diameter tube and barb fitting on the inside so its an easy fit to most pumps and I wanted a larger water column to fall back into the ato when the syphon at the sump broke to stir the kalk. The top of the tubes have a 1 inch hole drilled with a 1/2 inch internal fitting threaded through the acrylic wall into a stepped brass fitting that was coated internally with epoxy so no saltwater to brass contact would be made. Its stepped down to a 1/4 plastic quick connect 90 degree fitting,so I can unplug them for cleaning or serviceing.

2010-04-15183521.jpg

This shot(from my phone) is looking down into the tube,welded to the clear 12x12 pad and 1/2 full of water. The clear tube coils down to the pump. Ther is a JBJ ATO kit float swich suction cupped to the interior wall,its what shuts the pump circuit off if the tube(reservoir) gets too low. Both wires run up the inside of the tube and I notched the top of the tube so the top pad, aka beer holder, could lay flat. I ran black duct tape (yes it comes in colors and is the most amazing stuff in the world) down the back side or seam where the sign vinyl overlapped.

2010-05-08174000.jpg

2010-05-08173901.jpg

Next I velcroed the JBJ units to the rear of the base. Plugged the pump and the reservoir sensor into the JBJ controller. I installed the sump sensor by gluing a couple magnets to the sensor frame and then coating them with epoxy as they will be making contact with the sump water. This allows the sensors to be adjustable if needed. I ran the sump sensor wire around the back of the stand and plugged it into the controller. I cut a 3 inch piece of 1/2 inch clear line and super glued it into the front corner of my sump leaving a small section sticking up above the sump edge. This is what holds the 1/4 inch feed line into the sump without allowing it to touch the water and create a syphon which would suck sump water back into the reservoir,not good. I then ran the feed line from the sump, around the back of the stand and into the 1/4 90degree reservoir fitting.

2010-05-08225514.jpg

2010-05-08225532.jpg

From there I filled the reservoirs with 5.2 gallons of water, plugged the JBJ systems in and adjusted the level of the sump sensors until the reservoir pumps kicked on at my sumps water line and done. Fairly simple,good looking,functional furniture.

Looks great' date=' an ATO is a must with any tank IMO. So how many days will the top off containers last in between fillings?[/quote']

I top them off once a week. They get aout 1/2 way down. Would probobly go 2 weeks from full to reservoir sensor level.

No worries Nick,it was your 5 gallon bucket and your JBJ that was inspirational!

• 8 months later...
I got to see these today! Very nice. Do you remember how much you had in the materials (including pump)?

Im done hearing my tank gargle at 2am because i forgot to add water that day DOH!

The acrylic cyliner was the most expensive. I used a damaged one that they discounted. I also had the top and bottom plates routered and edges polished. With the pump, JBJ Auto top off monitor, hose, fittings and acrylic I have about $200 each. The JBJ foat system was $100 and I have $60 in each one for acrylic material.