Candy Cane coral ID please

ardenen

I have heard of "Kryptonite" Candy Cane before...those are NEON Green and bright, I think more than anything most of the names are just a sales tacktic, used to make the corals sound much cooler.

It would be interesting to know if there are different subspecies of CandyCane or Trumpet Corals...

Did some more research and it seems there are at least 3 in common aquarium trade though they all seem to share the same names.

C. furcata seems to be the true Candy cane coral though it's also called torch, trumpet, and bullseye

C. echinulata is what I think I have - a Trumpet Coral (but again goes by all the other names) and it's suppose to be more tightly packed together, more bland in color, and have a larger difference in height from the mouth to the edge.

C. curvata is suppose to be the Bullseye coral and from what i've read the individual polyps are further apart than either C. echinulata and C. furcata

Still don't know if the different colors are diff species

• Like 1

Really Awsome Candy Canes! Curious if those are different subspecies of Candy Cane' date=' or is there just one species that just happens to be extremely variable in looks?[/quote']

I have one other teal green one also. It is more of a solid teal though rather than the light and dark stripes. I think the three green ones I have are all the same species as they really only differ in the color. The brown and green one (Chocolate Mint or whatever) above I believe is a different species. It not only has 2 colors but the heads are a different shape and they are clustered together differently. I've never really looked each one up though to see.

Think species like "dog". Very general term, many "breeds" and "colors" available, but they are all "dog."

Candycane is a common name like "dog" and there are different "types"

Even Oregon Tort and Cali Tort are the same species (Acropora tortuosa), they just have different color patterns that "breed" true when they are fragged (oregon tort is a rich blue and cali tort is more purple...).

dsoz