BTA or Torch???????????

Berger9953

Hey PNWMAS!

I have a 20 gallon and its been up for about 9 months. I have t5HOs with ind reflectors and one actinic and one 10 k bulb. Its a total of 48watts. I have a few frags in the tank. I love BTAs, but I don't want it to move around, I've seen alot of people on youtube with the same lights and size tank with them, and they're thriving.

I love torch, but definetly not as pretty as BTA's. They don't move around which is a plus. My clowns might host it, but i think a BTA would give them a better chance.

Here is the youtube video I was talking about, he has the exact setup as me.

Thanks everyone in advance!! I hope to get alot of feedback:D

I would say torch. Just because if you can keep the anemone alive under that little light (???), and it starts to grow, you will fill the tank with just one anemone that will sting all your corals. I have seen RBTAs that are 9" diameter. A 20g tank is not much bigger than that to start with. If the torch starts to grow, it can be easily fragged back to whatever size you like. Anemones are a little harder to frag (I do it, but they are in my anemone farm not in a display).

dsoz

Re: BTA or Torch???????????

Totally agree with what Dsoz said...I have seen RBTA's bigger than 9 inches...dude Snowpunk and I saw one that was like 2 feet in diameter....huge. not to mention you can't have an anemone that doesn't move. I thought I did...bugger didn't move for 2 years...then didn't stop for 2 months

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

My false percs love their torch and you dont get the same great rythmic movment from BTA you would think the current in my tank goes one way by looking at the torch but really its waving against the current.

Thanks scuito for the nice comment. Yours is beautiful. most I see are brown or a cream color. But yours is a beautiful pink color. If I could find one like that, I would get it in a second.

This is just my opinion, so take it with a grain of salt...(naughty)

If it was me...I would choose the Torch, While the Bubble Tips are cool, and I have never personally owned one, I have heard they move around quite a bit untill they settle in a spot where they like, and even then they still might move around. That alone is a big pet peave of mine...I like to have things stay where I put them..lol, I just like them to grow where I put them...which the Torch would do.

I have a torch and really like it. I totally understand the alure of having a clownfish host a Anemone, its a really cool thing, but if it where me...I would save the money that I would have spent on a BTA...and Buy a nice Torch Coral and still have money left over to buy some zoanthids or mushrooms or even a cool ToadStool Leather Coral...

BTA are cool...But if it was me...and I had a 20g, I would go with a Torch...:D

I say get a BTA. That way when it starts to out grow your tank you have an excuse to get a bigger one...lol

I have a torch and they look great and just like everyone else said they don't move around. My Green BTA was moving like crazy. If your alright with it moving BTA's are pretty cool.

If it wont piss off my false percs too much I would like to frag a head off of mine and could trade you a head. If you know how you are more then welcome to come over and give it go. If you dont know how we could have a learning experiance together, since I have never done it. that is if its not to far for you to drive.

If it wont piss off my false percs too much I would like to frag a head off of mine and could trade you a head. If you know how you are more then welcome to come over and give it go. If you dont know how we could have a learning experiance together' date=' since I have never done it. that is if its not to far for you to drive.[/quote']

Fragging is easy. Just get a rotary tool with a diamond cut off wheel. Here is a cheap one from Harbor freight that would work just fine.

Rotary tool kit ($10)

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=97626

or a better one (4-speed) for $30

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=40457

diamond disks ($6)

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=31501

If you get the insurance on it (it is cheap), then when (not if, but when) it dies, you take it back and get a new one for free!!!! I have done this several times with a harbor-freight tool. They work great for one large job, or if you are only using it every now-and-then. Constant use will kill them quickly.

You could spend a lot of money on a dremel (like I did), but it will just get all rusty from the salt water and humidity from the fish tank... I wish I would have bought the cheaper one.

For less than $20 you have the perfect tool for fragging most hard corals!

All you need to do is cut the skeleton where it branches when there is no flesh there anymore. Search youtube, there are many videos showing how to frag corals.

dsoz

I fraged a couple heads of my candy cane with a pair of utilitie sissors (SP?) but I'm not sure if I had done it right the guy I traded it to lost it so I dont know if it survived.

Scissors are fine for candy cane, but Euphyllia (frogspawn, torch and hammer) tend to have thicker skeletons. Harder to do with scissors. Duncans tend to be much more dense, and cutting with scissors is almost impossible. Also, I tend to just score the skeleton with the diamond wheel, which gives it a weak spot for it to make a clean break.

dsoz

Look around a bit and you'll be able to find a nice torch. I picked up a nice green one with white tips a while back at Upscales.

DSCN2431.jpg

DSCN2450.jpg

As far as hosting goes, it depends somewhat on the type of clowns you have, whether they are tank raised, or not, etc. Even if you give them an anemone, they may not host it.

maroon clowns naturally host BTAs. Oscellaris and percula clowns do not naturally host BTAs in the wild (the range does not overlap) but will sometimes substitute host in a BTA.

I had a false perc from Dave's clown house and it started hosting a H. magnifica (Ritteri anemone) within 5 minutes of being added to the tank. Then the magnifica was removed and a RBTA was added and it took it about 3 days to start hosting the RBTA.

I have another pair of false percs that did not host anything for almost 2 years, then they started hosting ONE of my frogspawn corals. They won't host any of the other frogspawn, hammer, or torch corals that are in the tank. Maybe because the one that they host is the largest one, or it could have a different feel to the stinger cells. Whatever... clowns are dumb. LOL

dsoz

Thank you for all of the wonderful input!! My clowns are tank raised and bred occ. clowns. So they might never want to host anything!! But i think I will go with the torch according to what you all have told me. There's only one lfs near me that is an athentic reef store(unlike petco), and they rarely have torch in stock. And I don't like ordering corals online because you can't see them before you buy them. But divers den is good, I'll keep an eye on their stuff.

I fraged a couple heads of my candy cane with a pair of utilitie sissors (SP?) but I'm not sure if I had done it right the guy I traded it to lost it so I dont know if it survived.

It was dead within a day or so. But it was the offer that was all that mattered. Thanks again!

If it wont piss off my false percs too much I would like to frag a head off of mine and could trade you a head. If you know how you are more then welcome to come over and give it go. If you dont know how we could have a learning experiance together' date=' since I have never done it. that is if its not to far for you to drive.[/quote']

If Berger9953 isn't up for a trade I would be and I have a pair of cutters that work pretty good for candy canes and frogspawn (or a rotary tool as well if the skeleton is too big for the cutters). I would be willing to swap a frogspawn with 3 or more heads for a single head of the torch. Or if that isn't interesting I could do a teal candy cane frag (3 or 4 heads) or maybe come up with something else.