clown fish eggs laid today

talkalot82

[ATTACH]7584[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]7585[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]7640[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]7641[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]7642[/ATTACH]so Today I took the eggs from my dads house to mine in my bucket. i got the eggs off the back of the acylic with a razor blade and my gravel filter sucking them up. I think we only lost a small handfull.

On my way home with them in my bucket, eight of them hatched. and it was like maybe a ten minute drive. [ATTACH]7581[/ATTACH]

now they are set up in my twenty gallon ADA tank with air bubble and heater. Oh and this time I use black constuction paper instead of painting the tank. in case I want to use my tank for something else later.

Oh and here is a picture of my new puppy apollo he's now eight weeks old and the first of his breed in the usa since 1930. straight from germany. he's the one in the middle

[ATTACH]7582[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]7583[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]7584[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]7585[/ATTACH]

Just laid on 4-09-2010

So I am on day eight today and so far so good. my boys are doing great. it looks like they are doing good on the bbs but I suppose only time will tell. Right as I speak I am decysting the bbs eggs. I have my sieves out and am doing good.

I still have a bit of ammonia but so far not toxic (Free ammonia). I still have nitrates but nothing fatal. I am about to do a water change. my tank has 8.0 ph and no nitrates still. my tempture is running at 82 degrees. I believe they are right on schedule. I have been also feeding pulverised spirila as well. they take some, but it also does pollute so I don't put much in and I try to do a water change shortley after. Good thing I bought that ro machine from liquid sunshine before he closed. because I am going through so much water and salt

Oh and heres something interesting my clowns, after I just tooktheir eggs they laid more. they are on day six I think. But I cant hatch them I only have one tank. but if someone want to try I'd let you get the eggs. They laid them on the glass again. I didn't think they would lay so soon because she normally lays once a month so I didn't get my tile in there yet. but still if you are around here and want to try your welcome to them. Also if you needed rotifers I have a real cheap reliable hook up. They are tomato clowns

well it's my third batch of clowns, thought I only had about a dozen maybe the first time, and I had a horrible heat problem that was solved

They are really dark tomato clowns. and i have never dosed the tank with vodka. Though how should I get them off this glass? before they hatch?

• 2 weeks later...

So on day three I discovered I under estimated the amount of air in my tank. Being that it's larger and I have a bubble wond in my tank I thought I had enough air, but I was mistaken. When I got home I saw alot had died, and that the rest were gulping at the surface, so I got my books out. And I tested my tank for pollutions and I had a .25ppm of ammonia which isn't bad with my 8.0 ph at 80 degrees. I did do a water change though. Had to get the dead fry out of my tank. and It came down to that I didn't have enough air in the tank with all the babys and rotifers. now at day four they have silver bellies. so I am keeping my fingers crossed. Though I really hate the brine shrimp feeding that I will have to start soon. I dont want them to over eat.... Specialy when I cant watch them when I am at work....

Also last night I started them on a bit more light and they don't seem to mind a bit.

Do you black out all sides of the tank normally or do you leave the front viewable?

I am surprised that a bubble wand was not enough air. I usually only use a small air stone and have never had a problem. What are you using for your greenwater with the larva? I might be a little concerned that it may have produced a film on the water and the gas exchange may not have been right. But then again I have been wrong before :)

If I remember correctly that the avarage clown larva only needs around 25ish bbs at first. I usually try to guess the amount but haven't really ever had a problem with to many. I only feed twice a day during the week and typically have a 95% + survival rate after day 2.

so heres the stumper...

Yesterday I tested the tank and I had .25ppm of ammonia. with ph at 8.0, and p. gravity at .020, and no nitrites or nitrates not bad. oh and that was day five...

Today I test the tank and have ph8.0 and ammonia at .25ppm. same p. gravity. no nitrites but 5ppm of nitrates. How could I possible got nitrates and never read nitrites. don't you need one to make the other.

oh my fish are doing great. no deaths since the air problem.

Oh so I was also wondering if bareycuda or anyone else might be able to tell me what nitrates can do to my tomato fry. My books just don't really touch bases with nitrates. other that the fry tank can take about 50-100ppm of nitrates and still have a good metamoriphis. should I start to worry? should I change more water? Now that today will be day seven.

Also I started adding flake spirilia to the fry tank yesterday. grounded of course. Im hoping tonight I have baby brine to feed. It all depends when it hatches. It is day seven. maybe then some ammonia will be going away.

also to answer some questions. I am feeding my rotifers phytoplex, and also some trial food, I can't remeber the name of. the guy I get the ritifers

from is a researcher for eugene research aquatics, and he is trying this dry food out for his company. When I find the paper with the name on it i'll let you know. However I don't put the dry food in the tanks with my fry. I only put it in the rotifer containers. and I sieve it out before they go into my tank.

Also I have yet to see film on the top of my water or smells of any sort. That was my first thing I looked for when my fry started gasping at the surface.

I did turn up my bubble wand and they are doing much better. I wanted the bubble wond because last time i did the baby's I had a circulation proble with only two airstones. When they got bigger they weren't getting enough air or water current, so I thought this time I'd up the air. also making it dispersed evenly thoughout the tank. just an experement. seems to be working. I also put in my bigger whisper air pump. I did that because it has two outlets for hoses. that way I need less spliters.

I have two rotifer buckets, incase one crashes. and those are on one air line outlet with a spliters. the fry tank is on its own outlet this way, and i have it with it's own airline restricktor. I have found that this way I don't constanly have to constantly change air current in the spliter so the tank can get more or less and keeping the rotifers with the right air as well.

Also to your question about the tank walls. I couldn't get the right size costruction paper so I got black poster board and I cut it to size. I set it up so I can see through the front of the tank, but not through the back or sides that way I can still see what I am doing when I need to clean.