Reefkeeper Owners

reefcam

After seeing Alex's (grassi) Reefkeeper, it got me thinking more about getting one for my tank so I can monitor the tank.

I'm thinking of getting the Reef Keeper Elite w/ Net port and another additiona 4-plug strip.

Aside from that, what else should I get that you find useful?

Thanks

Jim

Our Apex rocks and the customer service is excellent!(rock2) Nice thing too is you can manage things remotely. I definitely think it is well worth the price tag and is a very good investment when you consider how expensive it would be to replace corals and fish if something goes wrong.

After seeing Alex's (grassi) Reefkeeper, it got me thinking more about getting one for my tank so I can monitor the tank.

I'm thinking of getting the Reef Keeper Elite w/ Net port and another additiona 4-plug strip.

Aside from that, what else should I get that you find useful?

Thanks

Jim

I owned the RKE and returned it for the APEX, like Frank and Alex both have.

Once you do the math, the RKE does not compete, especially for what I saw you list as add ons-

You must have a lot of equipment if you need 12 programmable plugs, a lot of my hardware does not need the programmable plugs.

And if you go the RKE make sure you check out the Digital Aquatics forum.

Both a great units and after having the chance to "use" both, the APEX, in my opinion is better.

You can buy it online for 460.00 delivered to your door.

Good luck with which ever way you go

Kim, get back to work

You can with this ...

IO Breakout Box

Easily add float switches, water on the floor sensors, etc. to the Apex, Apex Lite, AquaController 3, or AquaController 3 Pro. Simply plug the Breakout box's minidin 8 cable into the AquaController I/O port, and then attach the float switch, or water on the float switch wires to the quick connector terminals. No soldering or special tools required.

Picture of DO Probe

5' Cable plugs into the I/O Connector of the controller.

Supports 2 Digital inputs on the AC3.

Supports 4 Digital inputs on the AC3Pro.

Supports 6 Digital inputs on the PX 1000, Apex, and Apex Lite.

Quick Connect Terminals - no soldering required.

2 Mounting Holes for easy installation.

an Apex huh.. ok.. will look into that. Does it have a port to also detect for water? THat's one feature I like to have.

Not that I am aware of, but I dont recall the RKE having anythhing that detected water?????

not sure I follow what you are saying. I know when I got my RKE, there was nothing that would detect anything, it came w/ the temp probe and PH EVERYTHING else was an add on

Like Frank noted "add-ons" cha ching-LMAO

oh boy.. there goes my tax refund. :)

Brad, the RKE SL1 or SL2 has ports that you can hook up a float switch or a leak detector. They only sell the float switch. But I'm suspecting the ports are a simple open/close circuit detector.

My main goal is to find a controller that I can monitor remotely. But mostly with water leaks, or lights not coming on, or need to turn them on to see if there are any issues, etc.

My system is currently automated. If water overflows due to the return pump, a sensor will shut off the pump, but I won't know it until I get home. And same with water on the flow.

Thanks for the input.. I'll be getting an Apex soon!!! :D

Just ordered the Apex controller... thanks everyone for your feedback. Now I just have to get a network port to my tank area... too bad it doesn't do wireless. :)

$79 for the Apple Airport Express - Refubished Airport Express. Several people over at Reefcentral used this unit with success.

Has a USB for printing and an audio jack so your fish can rock out to your iTunes library (laugh)

No I used a Linksys Wireless Router - Wireless repeater bridge DD-WRT - WRT54G

http://portland.craigslist.org/mlt/sys/1678306829.html

works great...

I've been running DD-WRT on my home router but once, maybe twice a year, the router loses ALL of it's config info and resets itself to defaults. Of course I lose my Internet connection until I reload the config but I've seen it happen on two other routers (same make - different models) both running DD-WRT. Never dug deep on the issues and I am NOT running a CRON job to automagically reboot the router every so often. I have run the Tomato firmware with success but have not gone to it exclusively at home.

That Apple Airport Express is essentially a bridge and will work with most routers.