New Acan frag in the tank..when will it open??

Berger9953

Hey PNWMAS!!

I just bought 3 heads of Acan from the lfs today, the looked nice and plump in the store, but obviously because I put it in my tank, it's flat and looks like a piece of rock I colored with marker. But my real question is, when will they open and bulk up again??? I tried target feeding it after the light went out, but I accidently touched it and it immediately closed up..So as you can probably already tell, I've never had a Acan before, so I need all of the advice I can get for these beautiful corals:D:D:D Thanks yall!!

Good advice from everyone!

Keep in mind that acans will from time to time retract for awhile, sometimes 3-5 days. My prized rainbow acan was retracted for 4 days before i left on vacation and i was worried sick that i would return to a white skeleton. But lo and behold when i got home it was puffed up and happy :D

Too bad I already super glued it to a rockDOH!DOH!

It's pretty low though, And gets a good amount of flow, It's opening up alittle, I'm actually going out of town here soon, will it be okay if I leave surrounding lights on for 3 days with none of the big lights?? I got a timer, but I don't think it's working right....I don't want the lights to be on 24/7!!

They can stand a range of different spots, i have a rainbow that loves high flow and high light.

I would run down to HD or something and pickup a new timer for the lights. Those dial ones for appliances work fine, i use one on my frag tank. Can't be more than 10 bucks.

Well, I'm back home now, and the acan isn't really puffy, just sort of opened, but it's not bleached...Maybe too much flow?? It's enough to sway them a bit...I'm having a really hard time feeding those guys, I can't really see their sweeper tenticles, are they short or long??

Feeder tentacles come out at night. They look like short (1/16 to 1/8 inch) tentacles from around the center of each head. That is the best time to feed. Small meaty food like mysis shrimp, plankton, or ground up fish. I will sometimes put a bottle over mine to keep the food in the area of the acan.

dsoz