Frag tank ?

Beckie

What are you going to grow in the frag tank? Stonies? Zoos?

One good thing about those HOB filters is the cartridge filters you put in them. A good mechanical filter for small stuff and activated carbon all in one, and pretty cheap.

I have a 29g frag tank with one of those (plus live rock and sand bed) as my filtration. It has been OK for zoos, rics, and other softies, but would need frequent water changes and/or better filtration for most kinds of stonies, IMO. Let me know if you want to know more about it...

Filtration and light are two places you don't want to skimp. Actually, I don't think there are any places you would want to skimp on to make a good frag tank, except maybe the tank itself. A rubbermaid tub would make a good frag tank if everything else is done right.

A HOB filter would be a good place to START the filtration, but should not be the end. The water quality needs to be better in the frag tank then it is in a display. In a display the corals are usually healthy and growing. In a frag tank the corals are injured and damaged (by cutting) so they need the best conditions possible, not just "good enough". Otherwise you end up with a lot of white corals.

dsoz

dsoz

Thanks guys. I seem to get more and more sm frags from moving or breaking stuff. They are sitting around on the sand bed. Hubby doesn't like it and wants me to start a frag tank. I have given stuff to the TFT. I guess I'll just have to think this though some more.

Beckie

They are sitting around on the sand bed. Hubby doesn't like it and wants me to start a frag tank.

Hubby has you fooled-HE wants a frag tank-thats weird, its usually the other way around.

Wait a minute....that was great thinking Beckie, actually you women are smart-that was your plan all along-and to make him think it was his idea-I like it-(naughty)

I have frag tank that has a few chalices and the rest are softies.

1 koralia 1, HOB Remora skimmer and 25lbs of LR with T5's-thats it.

Not sure about "filtration" :D

I have a 55gl laying around. I have a 4 t5 light,a power head,& 2 HOB filters. I was thinking about sand, some LR, with grid frag rack on top of that. I already have all this so I was wonder if it would work.

I also have a 29gl eclipse that I was thinking about a sea horse tank But I know nothing about that.

Believe it or not I just wanted a display tank but you can see how that is working out.

Hubby is tolarant of my hobbies just as long as he only knows 1/2 of what I spend.

Beckie