color changing fish

stylaster

• 2 weeks later...
Guest HENARRY JAYA

this is normal . i have 4 damsel fish myself and when they get startled they hide and turn black and a few seconds later they will turn back to electric blue.

I have no idea what causes this. However I keep two yellow tail damsels in my hospital tank to maintain the biological filter. They are both about 3 years old. If I spook them they turn nearly black like yours. So I think this color change is normal. I think yours are spooked about their new environment and thus changing colors.

I can tell you all the secret for these guys...I had some myself. They are very closely related to the purple tilefish. You MUST keep them in groups of 3 or more. They are social eaters. I bought three at one time. I didn't lose a single one. When they are excited or scared or really happy (eating) they flash many different colors. When they are calm they are this really cool purplish blueish irridescent color with yellow edged fins. I started out feeding mine Cuclop-eeze and then transitioned them to meatier frozen foods and herbivore foods. Mine all shared the same cave in the tank and after a couple weeks of being in the tank became quite social and were out in the front of the tank most of the time. They are amazing little creatures. They do not handle high water temperatures well. That's how I lost mine. My roomate decided to turn the air off on a 100 degree day and the tank got up to 82 degrees F. I lost all three that day. They do great up to about 78F though. I keep my tanks at 74F usually, unless I have a species specific tank that has special requirements. I lost many many other fish that same day, so I know that is the reason I lost the Flashing Tile Gobies. Unfortunately. They were quite entertaining to watch. I Nicknamed then the LSD Gobies. =0)

If you have a well established tank with a good six months or more of track record and a deep enough pocketbook to swing getting THREE or MORE of them...then by all means do it. You will not be disappointed.

Matt