Why is Ice Dancing an Olympic Sport?

Emerald525

You'll yell at me for this but I don't believe half pipe is in the Olympics...one, give most kids on a snow board 2 months and 1/2 would be able to do most those "tricks"...2) the majority of stunts I watched failed...I don't think it is that hard, I don't think they are in that good of shape (like curling?) and they aren't that good at it considering that it is "all" they do...

DrMerle

Not going to yell, Just going to say "you've obviously never tried snowboarding"

1/2 pipe

Not going to yell' date=' Just going to say "you've obviously never tried snowboarding"[/quote']

Ditto! I've been an avid border/instructor for many years. Skated and surfed enough to call myself "ok" , grew up on roller skates and switched to blades etc.so, I feell I am somewhat of a semi expert on this. I have watched up close as those kids drop into a 1/2 pipe that is solid carved ice and unlike skating, travels down hill at a 15 degree angle, with a 1/4 sheet of plywood strapped to there feet and thought " I can do that " I have never,ever been so wrong in my life!!! I have a huge respect for those talented snot nose brats that deliver my paper and hand me cheesey gorditas with their pants on the ground!

Not yelling either but I can tell you that there is nothing even remotely easy about doing tricks like those guys do snowboarding. I have boarded for almost 10 years and every time I try to bring my a#@ over my head I end up on one of the two. Half pipes are a whole different ball game, I can drop in on a skateboard but not on a snowboard to save my life.

Again a plug for the snowboarders and Shaun White. As far as falling, I appreciate that. They could play it safe. Here they are training and practicing and they lay it on the line for one event and go all out. That takes guts! I read somewhere where one of the Olympic contenders suffered severe brain trauma from hitting his head on the half pipe. The figure skaters fall all the time too. It's not because they're bad. It's because they are trying to do the impossible!