wind power

reef165

I was looking arround the web the other day and Im wondering if anyone has looked into wind turbines to run there tank? DIYers online have built wind mills using alternators or motors to charge batteries that run an inverter to power things. I did a calculation and on the heavy side my tank only uses 8 to 900 watts of power. I think on a 24 or 48 volt system it may be plausable. I do live just outside troutdale so I get plenty of wind, and I know whare I can get a portable generator that the engine went out on but its got everything. What do ya think?

Re: wind power

I was looking arround the web the other day and Im wondering if anyone has looked into wind turbines to run there tank? DIYers online have built wind mills using alternators or motors to charge batteries that run an inverter to power things. I did a calculation and on the heavy side my tank only uses 8 to 900 watts of power. I think on a 24 or 48 volt system it may be plausable. I do live just outside troutdale so I get plenty of wind, and I know whare I can get a portable generator that the engine went out on but its got everything. What do ya think?

i have....still looking

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

Danik I would agree for the most part. Reef165 stated that he lives just outside of Troutdale. Living on that side of town for many years myself the one thing you can always count is the cold wind. Troutdale and the surrounding towns seem to always get hit with high winds due to the Columbia Gorge being right there. I personally think that this would be a great idea for someone on that side of town however being on the Westside now I agree with you. Winds are not steady enough to justify setting something like this up at least not wind energy.

If nothing else becomes of this theory at lease we have the reefing community thinking outside the box to support our ever demanding power needs. Also if you end up going forward with this project please start a build thread I am most interested.

I believe our energy needs of the future can all be found using solar, wind, and hydro power. This includes hydrogen generators.

Do a search on "sustainable home power".

Here is one place that sells solar panels, wind turbines, etc. http://www.realgoods.com/category/wind-hydro-transportation.do

There seem to be many websites offering solar kits for under $200 that claim to give you free energy, plus you can sell back the excess electricity to the power company... seems to good to be true. http://www.earth4energy.com/ Be sure to do some research before handing over your cash to some of these. Some, not all, may be possible online scams, from what I have read.

Might check this out, I did some reading on it a while back and couldn't find anything bad...seems legit

http://www.power4home.com/index.php?hop=taa200

Those are some of the type sites that I was reading about, although it looks legit to me too! There was one site claiming another was a scam, then it referred you to an almost identical site. Go figure.(scratch)

I'm not saying to not do it, just do some research online, or better yet the BBB if that is possible.

I've always liked the idea of using excess wind capacity to store energy by pumping water uphill into a reservoir, and running hydro generation when the weather requires it. You're talking a bit more of an engineering effort there though. Peak/off-peak arbitrage also comes to mind with a setup like this, but that's more in the utility realm...

that in itself is the problem the wind industry is facing....effeciently storing the energy they produce

Storing the energy is not the issue -- there's enough load to use it up -- it's operating the grid in such a way that we utilize the wind energy, safely and reliably, when it's available. Wind is not scheduled like other means of generation because forecasting it is far from 100% reliable at this point; so it's never the plan to satisfy load strictly via wind energy. You typically have some non-renewable generator spinning to back it up just in case.

The energy industry is fascinating... and this is just one tiny part of it. Utility operations from generation to transmission to distribution is pretty amazing to me.

• 2 weeks later...

Ok, well I have taken it appart and decided that the gen motor is the only thing worth saving. Plus aftre allot of online serching I have decided on building a vertical windmill. I have read that they are up to 30% more eficiant than the prop type. Here are some pics of what I am working with and have so far.

post-110-141867753232_thumb.jpg

post-110-141867753234_thumb.jpg

post-110-141867753237_thumb.jpg

post-110-141867753238_thumb.jpg

What it is, is 2 24inch round 3/4 inch plywood and one of them is cut to a 2 1/2 inch doughnut. I got a pack of wains coating that had 12 pieces that were 32 long 3 1/2 wide and 1/4 inch thick for the blades and a 6foot piece of 1 X 4 to hold the blades on. I have read and seen that the strait blades need to be at an angle of 35 to 45 deg. I put mine at about 40deg.

post-110-141867753241_thumb.jpg

post-110-141867753243_thumb.jpg

post-110-141867753245_thumb.jpg

post-110-141867753247_thumb.jpg

Storing the energy is not the issue -- there's enough load to use it up -- it's operating the grid in such a way that we utilize the wind energy, safely and reliably, when it's available. Wind is not scheduled like other means of generation because forecasting it is far from 100% reliable at this point; so it's never the plan to satisfy load strictly via wind energy. You typically have some non-renewable generator spinning to back it up just in case.

The energy industry is fascinating... and this is just one tiny part of it. Utility operations from generation to transmission to distribution is pretty amazing to me.

I work as a generation dispatcher and all major generation in 4 states (pacific northwest) absolutly has to have a schedule to be on line. Ibedrola enegy spends hundred of thousands of dollars to forcast wind. They got it down pretty good compared to a year ago. With this said a wind marketer forcasts wind so he can sell it and has to have a buyer on the receiving end. But it's true there is currently no way to store excess energy, except pump the water back up the river which we allready do.

• 1 month later...

Well I got it in the air, not to it's final resting place but it's standing there and attatched to a volt metter. I can give it a little spin and by the time I get down and look at the metter it's at about a volt and a half. Of course the wind was blowing earlyer but now it's calm out go figure.

post-110-141867753688_thumb.jpg

post-110-14186775369_thumb.jpg

post-110-141867753693_thumb.jpg

Oh and ya it is a dif motor than I started with. The first one wasn't a perm magnet, I woulda had to energise the electro mag to get it to work as a gen so I got a dif motor. It's a 15 amp, 92 volt at 3100 rpm. with the math it should produce about 1300 watts with winds of 20mph or so, but I dont think I could be that lucky! I'll be happy with half that.

• 4 months later...

I ended up taking it down, I couldn't get it above the 12 foot arborvitaes high enough to turn without spending some $ on a real tower so it's on hold for now. I do plan on attempting it again as soon as I've got more $ and also adding some DIY solar panels. I haven't given up, it's just on hold for now.