Distinguishing between Cyano and DinoF

ciao

You can feed your dendro outside the tank, like some people do with young clams.

This is an interesting post about dinoflagellates: http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2006-11/rhf/index.php#1

As you will read, if they are dinos, you might be able to help raising your ph. Off course you should slow down with feeding and lights for a while.

Even turning the light off for a couple of days can help. Be sure to try to suck the most you can and do frequent wc. Don't blow them around, it is just worst

The annoying thing is that I don't feel that I've been feeding that much. I only feed the 3 clowns, wrasse, and RBTA once every 3 days with some DIY fish food from Westside. The only other thing I feed is the Soho and Yellow tang with a small 3" x 2" sheet of dried nori every day. Could some of the nutrients be from the Palys, mushroom, and zoas when they let off slime?

You can feed your dendro outside the tank' date=' like some people do with young clams.[/quote']

Hmmm, good idea. Though it kind of goes against what I've been told - STOP moving those corals!! This may be a good solution to get the dendro to eat for a while w/ out polluting the rest of the tank. (plotting) I'm going to try to find an article about this.

Don't blow them around, it is just worst

OOPS. DOH!

Hmmm, good idea. Though it kind of goes against what I've been told - STOP moving those corals!! This may be a good solution to get the dendro to eat for a while w/ out polluting the rest of the tank. (plotting) I'm going to try to find an article about this.

You can also limit the amount of food trying to concentrate it to the target. Like with a plastic bottle. Cut the bottom and feed through the cap. Leave there some time and remove. So you don't have to extra feed because the food floats around or fish and inverts sit at the table without being invited ;-)

Don't blow them around, it is just worst

OOPS. DOH!

Blowing a few minutes with the turkey baster is not helpful, but a constant flow of a powerhead is

I used to have a dino outbreak about 2 months ago. it was horrible these little reddish-brown strings with bubbles were everywhere! it sucked and my water quality was great and i had a fuge and i didn't overfeed. Dino's can be a PITA!! but I was able to finally resolve mine by increasing my pH to about 8.4-8.5 and they went away.

they can come even with perfect water conditions and don't need light to grow. turning your lights off for a little will help but only temporary. they will still be there when the lights come back on. Nothing really eats dino so the best thing I found was to increase pH.

and cyano usualy has a more mat like appearance and is usually red and dino's are long and stringy and grow on anything including rocks, macro, sand and corals.

Sometimes they show up even if everything is right, especially if you have a sandbed.

How is your flow compared to the size of the tank?

I'm not sure to be honest. I worry about too much flow but I'm not sure if I have enough either. I have 2 K4 powerheads on opposite sides of the tank on a 72" tank and also the return which are also two. One of them I have facing down towards the bed and the other facing up. They are both hooked up to a snapper and when I move my hand away from the nozzle more than 2 feet away, I don't really feel anything it seems. Plus the rock work probably blocks some flow I'm sure.

im running about 40-50x in my tank and that didn't stop my dino's. i think it helped lol but anyway...so the best way for dino's IME is too increase the pH. the increasing the Mg trick usually helps with bryosis and some other macro's

also, i would ditch the K's and go with either a mp40 or 2 or some tunze's

All great suggestions here. Let me add that siphoning them out and replacing that water with new water did the trick for me.

When you disturb them with a pump or a turkey baster they pretty much disintegrate only to show up again an hour later. You need to get them out.

Higher Ph is recommended but I'm not sure about Mg. That's for Bryopsis as Jason pointed out.

Depending on your layout inside the tank, your current amount of circulation is OK. You can get away with less flow if your aquascaping is more open. If it's packed full of rock it will definitely need more flow. If there are no dead spots or detritus traps you should be fine.