Kalk Questions

ciao

Since pickling limewater is supposed to be the same as Kalk, do you just go to the store and pick up some limewater and drip it directly into the sump or do you need to dilute/mix it with regular RO water first?

For those people that mix Kalk with your RO water to top off their tanks, doesn't the different pH difference between your tank water and the RO water with Kalk cause too drastic a shock to the inhabitants of the tank? I was also wondering, for those that add Kalk to their top off water, how much Kalk do you put into the water when mixing?

I used Mrs. Wages until i went in on a bulk amount of calcium hydroxide. But i dose kalk via my auto topoff. I mix 2 teaspoons kalk per gallon of RO. The auto topoff dumps into my sump, so there is sufficient time for it to mix with my tank water. My house is an energy star house, so its well insulated. This actually causes problems with low pH in my tank due to the increased CO2 in the house. The kalk helps keep my pH up and steady, along with my skimmer drawing air from outside to drive off excess CO2 in the water.

I used to use Ca reactor and drip kalk at night....with MY tank, the Ca reactor drove the Ph down below 8 pushing 7.7 sometimes...I would aggressively supplement kalk to bring it back--no consistent Ca levels...swinging ALK...I unplugged Ca reactor and went to dripping kalk with dosing pump 24/7...my corals have responded nicely with the higher pH (8.1-8.2) AND alk and Ca stability...

Mrs. Wages is pickling lime...it is the same as kalk...I mix up a 5 gallon bucket of kalk in the garage and pump it under the house to drip in sump...I then mix up a second bucket awaiting the first bucket to empty...the I can switch "drip lids" with tube attachments...

DrMerle

one word... BUDGET!!!! Or lack thereof. :(

I am stuck in the dosing two part by hand for now.

dsoz

Amen to that, I know the feeling -- fortunately, kalk is keeping up with my relatively low dosing requirements. When it doesn't, I'll go with 2-part... hopefully auto-dosed, but manual if that's the way it has to be. Either way, no Ca Reactor for me; they're too cranky.

I set up a Ca reactor and kalk reactor a few weeks ago and my parameters have never been so stable. Miss a day dosing and things go downhill quickly. Sure, the reactors take a bit of tweaking but things are becoming quite stable at this point and require very few (if any) adjustments.

I'm about in need of more kalk powder so I'm going to have to make it to wal-mart, dangit!

I set up a Ca reactor and kalk reactor a few weeks ago and my parameters have never been so stable. Miss a day dosing and things go downhill quickly. Sure, the reactors take a bit of tweaking but things are becoming quite stable at this point and require very few (if any) adjustments.

I'm about in need of more kalk powder so I'm going to have to make it to wal-mart, dangit!

Just curious, If you have a Kalk reactor and only set it up a few weeks ago shouldnt it be good for a year-ish.

I thought that was the "selling point" of a kalk reactor was dump in a cup or two and forget them since theres no oxygen the stuff lasts untill completely gone?

Let us know if you're able to get some Wal-Mart lime. Typically they only sell it seasonally. Last time I tried to get it, I must have been a week or two early. They had a space for it on the shelves with the canning goods, but they did not have any in stock and did not have a record of when it would be coming in. I think this was in August.

Just curious, If you have a Kalk reactor and only set it up a few weeks ago shouldnt it be good for a year-ish.

I thought that was the "selling point" of a kalk reactor was dump in a cup or two and forget them since theres no oxygen the stuff lasts untill completely gone?

I think I go about 3 months on a pound of lime... I've never really kept track, but that seems about right. It's not a year, but it's a lot better than adding to ATO water a couple of times a week.

I think I go about 3 months on a pound of lime... I've never really kept track' date=' but that seems about right. It's not a year, but it's a lot better than adding to ATO water a couple of times a week.[/quote']You have high evaporation? I filled my reactor about 2 months ago and cant see where any has been lost, maybe a 1/4 cup out of 1-1/2 cups. Maybe I dont stir enough

• 3 weeks later...