need input from computer tech people....

mister crabs

Ok so its been about ten years since I built a computer. Not looking to really build a computer as much as I am looking to build a media center to hold my dvd collection that I can possibly use to surf the net on the flat screen as well. Looking to basically be able to put my entire collection of dvds on the harddrives and watch them with either a remote or a keyboard and mouse if need be. I have no idea where to start since technology has come so far. any suggestions or help? How many TB hd's can you run in a single system? need everything from video card to motherboard to harddrive suggestions. thanks for any help.

A price range is always a great place to start. So you need a entire new setup, but the things you listed are the only important factors right? Do you want a normal sized monitor at all or is it going to be exclusive to the flat screen? If it is for movies then you are going to want a good video card and make sure it has HDMI supported so you don't have to have any converting cables. As far as HD go, the sky is the limit on how many you can put in. It all depends on the size of case you are willing to have to put them all in. How many gigs do you want to be able to store for the life of this thing? I have a few movies on mine, but I know people that can pull almost any title from the past 15 years from there library. This could be a fun thread...

I would be interested in seeing someones setup for this but my work schedule is definately an issue there. I work graveyard 10hr shifts and then work with horses 4-5hrs a day. crazy busy right now.

as for a price range I was looking to keep it under $1500 (if possible)

I will be using a 46" flat screen LCD as the monitor

I want to be able to store between 400-600 dvd's total. I know with a straight rip they are almost 5gig apeice but also know there are other formats to convert to that are more compact without losing quality.

So basically I need to know everything needed from which processor, mobo, hdd, and video cards are compatible. I dont need the newest hottest on the market or supposed best ever items but dont want a box of poo when I am done either....lol

also, what software do you run on this sort of thing? Is it basically where you run like a windows 7 and use a third party software to organize and access the files? are there any such programs with a slick gui that work for this specific purpuse? I have looked at popcorn hour products but Im not sure thats what im looking for.

I work the same schedule as you. So that shouldn't be much of a problem. I currently run windows 7 on a 46inch LCD Sony Bravia. I have about 2 TB of data storage with about 350 movies or so. Plus another TB of music. I use a remote and keyboard both that are RF and you can't even tell I have a computer running it.

oh...you don't want to know what I paid for my system....I am doing all of that with a laptop. But I do know how to do it all with a desktop too. I am using a system that I picked up for $50 that is also doing the same thing. Now you would want a better video cards, more RAM, and probably better audio....but still....under 1k no problemo dude.

Yah its really much easier than it sounds. Build yourself a nice HTPC, a couple external HDs and you are pretty much good to go. There are loads of free programs to help catalog all your movies and stream them to whatever device you are watching them on. I plan on using TVersity.

I work the same schedule as you. So that shouldn't be much of a problem. I currently run windows 7 on a 46inch LCD Sony Bravia. I have about 2 TB of data storage with about 350 movies or so. Plus another TB of music. I use a remote and keyboard both that are RF and you can't even tell I have a computer running it.

When this thread got posted this is exactly what I thought of. His setup is less like a computer and more like a home entertainment system. He always has a remote in his hand. He goes from watching tv, to searching the forum then kicks on a movie from the HD, then flips to the Wii and starts playing. It all flows seamlessly. If it wasn't for the laptop being closed on the entertainment center I would have thought it was all integrated. Let Eric walk you through this build if you want it done right. Just make sure you get AMD(it really pisses Eric off(laugh))...(whistle)

Honestly it really depends on what you want if you just want the media center functionality you could do it for a few hundred bucks by just buying a unit and a hard drive. Once you decide you want an actual fully functional computer it is a bit more expensive. Still you could build something for 5 or 6 hundred bucks that would be nice. PM me or post exactly what you want it to be capable of and I can come up w/ a recommendation. I used to be a hardware tester for Intel, so I'm fairly knowledgeable about these things. Right now tho, I just use a mac mini someone kicked me down. I don't recommend this tho, they are spendy and require an external drive for extra storage. Look at the micro atx cases and see if you like the look of any of them, that is certainly what I would build. I just priced a sweet unit on amazon for 300 not including the case. You could build a monster for 5-700 dollars for sure.

After talking to my wife I decided since we alerady have a functional desktop and she has a laptop, I mainly just want to build a media center. I get lost when looking at the different processors, motherboards, video cards, and types of ram since I last went this route and dont know the real compatibilities of the different brands/components.

In that case it may be cheapest for you to check out a "media extender" that allows access to the content on you PC (PC needs vista premium or ultimate). Otherwise you can get a micro atx board w/ everything built in, select a case you like and buy a processor and ram for about $500( plus the cost of your OS should you choose to pay for it). either way you will probably want to buy the biggest HD you can get your hands on. Check out www.geeks.com they run some great deals sometimes. I can help you to select hardware when you decide what route you would like to go if you would like. If your PC is decent I would just go the extender route, an Xbox360 can do this as well but some of the other units do a better job of it. Even a PS3 would suite your purposes if you are using an external drive. The game systems don't play some formats but that doesn't matter unless you plan on pirating a lot of anime, or HD content (most HD files work these days). For DVD rips they would work fine. I can also help you w/ ripping and compressing your DVD's when the time comes. They also make HD bays that act as media centers for $100-200, from what I hear they work pretty well, you are just limited to one drive when you do this.

That is true....if it is purely for the function then it would work great....

Side note, as Snowpunk pointed out I currently am doing pretty much the same thing, what Snowpunk didn't mention is I have 2 computers hooked up to my TV....I just don't use the second one that often

Hey Eric' date=' do you see any lag or stuttering on the videos being played off an external HD connected via USB? My biggest concern, and why i've been looking at NAS drives, is the limited bandwidth of USB.[/quote']

I just bought a case for my external that has firewire A and B, Sata, and usb all together. That way you are able to use the best available option wherever you are hooking it up. That would make it run a lot faster if you were able to use a faster port.

sooo..... why is AMD considered crap by most I talk to? everyone says get intel for processor and stay away from amd. last time I did this AMD was leading the charge and intel was lagging behind. price diff is considerable as intel is about 2x the cost. any insight?

It's all in personal experience. I have had great luck with AMD and not so good with intel. Others have had the opposite. I can't justify spending so much more to get the same performance as an AMD and possibly the problems I did before from the intel. Every computer I build gets AMD just because they have been much more reliable from my experience. But to each his own I guess. If you really want to put extra money out for the same thing then I guess that is what ya gotta do.DOH!