clown hosting

reef165

My clowns(2 percs) would not go anywhere near my Anemone, then one day the female started to brush up against it then started to host it. After a week or so the male started to host. Now if I drop a piece of shrimp in the tank the female will grab it & go straight to the Anemone to feed it.

Do you have any other aggressive creatures in the tank? If they feel threatened they are more inclined to host. One way to do it is to force them in close proximity to each other. I.E. Put them in a small tank where the clowns will brush up against the anemone. When they do it will sting them and then they will go back for more until they become immune to it. The one time I did this they were hosting within a couple of hours. Kind of funny to watch too. Keep in mind though that even clowns will occasionaly get eaten by anemones. I've never had it happen but others have.

Someone told me to shine a light on the anem. at night and that that had attracted the clowns to it. I never tried and probably as a result my clowns prefer to host my power head.....silly fish....

I found that idea on RC last night. I also found someone said that they had luck by printing a pic of a clown hosting and placing the pic close to the anemone so the clown can see it and realize what he is to do. Others then posted that they to have herd of the pic thing working. I would try it but my stupid printer is out of color ink :( Last night I netted him and tried placing him near the anemone so he may brush against it but that whole ordeal sent him hiding in the rocks, which is unusual for him cuz mine to likes the power head!

Someone told me to shine a light on the anem. at night and that that had attracted the clowns to it. I never tried and probably as a result my clowns prefer to host my power head.....silly fish....

This is how I got my clowns to host my frogspawn. Clowns seem to be attracted to a spotlight when they sleep. Get them hosting one side of the tank at night then slip the anemone under them on a rock. It may take a few weeks.

dsoz

I read something just recently not sure if it will work but you can try it ..

They said to put the anemone and the clown fish in a bag like what you bought them in the clown fish will be nervous and will start hosting to hide then when you take them out they are already attached..

Who knows if it works ..

My clown fish are very confused and host in my candy cane coral .. LOL

Good Luck

Ya, Im thinking of using that trick, fish and nem in closed quarters, maybe a 5 gallon bucket with just enouph water to cover the rock the nem is on. I'll give it a couple more days. I have to take off my hood soon to upgrade lighting so I'll do it then. I'll take pic's and update when I do it.

Thanks all!

Lol, I was referring to mine! Dumb fish have hosted powerheads, tried hosting the baffle for the over flow (only to get sucked through and live in one of the back chambers for a while), "flirted" with their reflections, and on multiple occasions have been lucky enough that I found them AS they jumped out of the tank and was able to save them. Next time.....maroons.

Somewhere online if you serch you can find what clowns are known to host certain nems. I have had percs dive bomb carpet nems that others would not touch.

It took my maroon nearly 2 months to host my RBTA, which I have sold(both pieces since it split) and now that same clown hosts my yuma rics.

Not sure whay it did not go to my frogspawn or torches-oh well.

Its something you need to "just let nature take its course". You may have read if you target feed, do so by the nem which will draw the clowns closer.

This is not the chart I saw last year but you can find one-"Google";

http://www.aquacon.com/clownfishanenomecompatibility.html