Mandarin goby

wegotjs

I am checking if anyone has ever had a mandarin that ate brine or other food besides just living on pods. I want to buy one only if it will live long term and almost all wild caught manderine die from starvation. If anyone has one they want to sell or knows of a possible breeder please let me know. Who on the boards has Mandarin and how long have you succesfully kept these amazing fish?

mandarin.jpg

Call the shops and see if they have had one for a while and if they have SEEN it eating other food than live pods.

It may be hard to find someone with one that is eating. Especially from a member as no body would want to get rid of it eating a variety of foods.

How big, old is your tank? Do you have pods? Do you have other pod eaters?

Also, it's not just a matter of getting them to eat it - it's getting the food to them. They are very slow, graze feeders. They won't dart out into the water stream to grab a bite. So other, more active feeders, will gobble up all the brine shrimp/other food before the mandarin can get to it.

Also' date=' it's not just a matter of getting them to eat it - it's getting the food to them. They are very slow, graze feeders. They won't dart out into the water stream to grab a bite. So other, more active feeders, will gobble up all the brine shrimp/other food before the mandarin can get to it.[/quote']

A good point ..............

I have one for over a year in my 37 gallon and he eats brine and mysis shrimp.

I have thought about trying my hand at breeding them. The first problem I would have is finding a female. My understanding is that the males are easy to catch in the wild because of there dorsal fin is larger and spiked at the top so when netting them the dorsal gets snagged in the mesh. I haven't seen a female mandarin yet in stores.

As for finding one. It's tough. I sat and stared at the one I have for almost an hour at the LFS. I made sure he was fat and he was hunting for food. It's still a crap shoot. I hope you find one like mine. He is by far my favorite fish and in my opinion one of the most beautiful. To be completely honest I purchased two mandarins prior to that and they slowly starved. I told my wife no way will I buy another until I get a big reef built. Until I saw the one I have now...

As for grazing I don't really agree. I would say they hunt for their food and they are quite quick. And yes you'll be hard pressed to find someone willing to give up a mandarin that eats frozen food.

Just keep looking and definately do not buy one that is not eating. Good Luck.