I need some help...Im moving to a larger tank

gwalkerss

Hello,

I currently have a 75G Reef tank and i am replacing it with a 150g tank.. I need some ideas on how to successfully move all the live stock/water/rock/sand out of the 75g, then move the empty 75G tank, put the 150g tank where the 75g was and then put all the live stock/water/rock/sand into the new 150g thank (scary).

I am sure many of you have done this (or close to it). I am looking for any advice or cautions. I am planning on doing this on sunday! please help if you can!

Thanks

Geoff

Thats alot to do for one day. I would get a bunch of them plastic tubs and have a power head and heater for each one. Lights I wouldent worry about as long as the corals arent in there for more then a couple days.

That way you can take your time on setup. You might need it if something goes wrong.

If its to be done in one day I hope you have the water ready and had the tank all pre-setup in the garage or just moved from being setup form another place.

Sounds like a super full day anyway you cut it though. GL and it nice to have someone there helping if you can.

first get lots of buckets, then fill the buckets with water. Put your corals and fish safely into the buckets or tupperware containers.

Then remove your rock and keep it wet in the buckets or whatever you have.

Then transfer as much water as possible, and then scoop the sand and transfer it.

Let the tank settle as much as possible without letting your corals get cold. and then add them and replace all missing water with new mix ( mix 1 day ahead of time).

That is the real basics of it, just make sure you have everything as ready to go as possible. Hope this helps.

Expect the unexpected...I would plan on it taking a couple days to pull off...have some extra water made up...

I would have big plastic tubs with heaters and powerheads...without them, if you hit a problem or snag, you risk losing your livestock...don't worry about lights...

Transfer water/rock/corals into one tub--transfer rock/sand/water into second tub...breakdown first tank...setup second tank...add second tub contents....almost fill with water...LET SETTLE....add contents of first tub...

Voila!!

DrMerle

Keep in mind that it isn't entirely necessary to have the new water ready to go until after the new tank is in place. It isn't going to hurt anything to take a few days to fill it up if you run some power heads. (It took me 3 days to get enough water made to fill my tank when I swapped it out last time) You also will not necessarily need to do the sand immediately either. I.E. As long as it has enough water to cover it you can take a day to transfer it assuming it can just be moved enough to get the new tank into place. That pretty much leaves rounding up enough containers for all of the water, rock, and corals to hold them temporarily while you swap the new tank into place.

All the above information is spot on. The only thing I would add is put your new tank on its stand, your sump into the stand and any peripheral equipment (ie. reactors) and plan out your plumbing. When I upgraded I spent most of my two days trying to figure out the plumbing. I had to make several runs to HD for parts and fittings because I was winging it as I went.

Had I planned ahead it would have went much faster and been less stressful on me and the tank inhabitants.

HTH

Shane

Geoff, get a large rubbermade container and put your water inj that, add your heater and power head or two. then put your rock and livestock in the tub and put the lid on it so keep everyone calm. Check it periodically to make sure everything is fine. then set up your new system. You can keep the livestock in the rubbermaid tub and not worry about it too much for a couple of days atleast. Take your time and you will have success. If I was going to be in town this weekend, I would come by and help.

Good luck

You might think about selling as much live stock as you want to part with or dont have the most interest in anymore. Less do deal with makes things go smooth. Odds are some things wont make it. If you can transfer as much coral to a buddy's tank and then after things are in place and ready transfer then back. I did this and didn't lose a thing.

Hello,

I currently have a 75G Reef tank and i am replacing it with a 150g tank.. I need some ideas on how to successfully move all the live stock/water/rock/sand out of the 75g, then move the empty 75G tank, put the 150g tank where the 75g was and then put all the live stock/water/rock/sand into the new 150g thank (scary).

I am sure many of you have done this (or close to it). I am looking for any advice or cautions. I am planning on doing this on sunday! please help if you can!

Thanks

Geoff

Good luck Geoff... I am doing the same next weekend! I am moving from a 55gal to a 150 gal! I plan on putting all my rock in on 30gal rubbermade container and all of my fish in another, should pretty much use all the water from my tank and sump, move out the 55 gal (all on saturday next weekend) and then put the new 150 gal tank in its spot on sunday, set up and then put my stuff from the old tank in!

Let me know how your move goes! And if you have any ideas that worked good for you!

Thanks and have fun!

Beth

One other thought... if you already have a large cooler, they work great for storing your rocks and corals and help maintain temperatures. Depending on how much livestock you have in your current tank, you may be able to fit most or all of it in there. If you're worried about putting food in there after that, just use some bleach water to clean the cooler.