This Nudibranch?

puntific

Looks Like

Looks like a branch, I have had a nomber of different ones, I have not seen them being detrimental but I think some knids can be. I have one now that is totally black that opens it's 'back' and filters grains of sand through it and cleans my rocks- very cool! I will get a pic up the next time he makes an appearance. This is a great site to identify them, the identification process can take a bit but worth it(clap)

It's very much like those in the pictures' date=' yet the color is a bit different. He looks like he could hide well in Zoas, especially Fire and Ice... hmmm... very much like the rings...[/quote']

Looks like a zoo eating nudi and yes the rotten SOB's are just that-rotten.

I am sure I have some still although I have not seen any in a week-I sucked one out of the tank a week ago. If you notice your zoos are not open like they used to, my bet is that they are present, and if you have one you have more.

In my research there is nothing to get rid of them. I have a 24" eye dropper I "suck" them up with and squirt them into the back yard so they can die slowly (I wish) like they have done to my zoos.

In the past I would take a flash light when my lights are out and you can see them better as the zoos are usually closed.

They will adapt to the color (or transform) of the zoo, that is from eating the zoo- I have never been able to find eggs but tI am sure they were around.

Do a google search for zoo eating nudibrachs.

Get your self a long turkey baster and the flashlight and go HUNTING.

Use the turkey baster to make the zoos close, its much easier finding them.

Good luck, oh and in the future, as I do NOW, dip everything new that goes into your tank, it hitch hiked its way in.

There is some research about potassium permanganate used for killing nudibranchs.

http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2007-09/eb/index.php

0.050 grams per liter of water. I have some potassium permanganate in pre-measured vials. All you need to do is dump it into 1 liter of tank water and shake to mix. Once dissolved it makes a purple solution that is lethal to nudibranchs.

If you want some of this potassium permanganate, just send me a PM. I have about 10 lbs of it at home. This is enough for about 1,000,000,000,000 treatments.

I have had success with it killing monti-eating nudibranchs, and only lost a couple of pieces. When I had zoa eating nudis, I dipped the zoas, and had no coral losses.

dsoz

I am thinking bad. My philosophy is this....when it comes to nudi's....if I didn't buy it....it's bad and it has to go. But then again...that's why I got my Melanurus wrasse....he loves em....I should say "loved" as I don't have any and haven't had any since the we started the second week with the wrasse in our tank.

I am thinking bad. My philosophy is this....when it comes to nudi's....if I didn't buy it....it's bad and it has to go. But then again...that's why I got my Melanurus wrasse....he loves em....I should say "loved" as I don't have any and haven't had any since the we started the second week with the wrasse in our tank.

Hard to argue with that, i'm with ya!!

coral dips and basters?

Would a coral dip kill the eggs? I can pull out my zoas and do that! And I'm willing to go hunting too.

puntific

If you decide to look for eggs (which is the only way to get rid of them) they will generally be on the side of the polyps and look like little white swirly's about a 1/6 of inch around. You will have to scrape them off with something.

You think I could keep the Melanurus wrasse with a Leopard Wrasse?

puntific

You think I could keep the Melanurus wrasse with a Leopard Wrasse?

puntific

I am thinking you would be fine. Maybe get the Mel a bit bigger than the leapard. That way it will make your leapard think twice about messing with him and give the mel a chance to settle in. I am about to add a second wrasse to my system just for the heck of it.

I wish I had a Camera that could take better Pics, But I have slug looking dude that is beige and has like grey spots or swirls on it. He pops up every now and again. and doesnt seem to bother anyone. I see him on my glass in the morning, and he bails when the lights come on very quickly.....

I wish I had a Camera that could take better Pics' date=' But I have slug looking dude that is beige and has like grey spots or swirls on it. He pops up every now and again. and doesnt seem to bother anyone. I see him on my glass in the morning, and he bails when the lights come on very quickly.....[/quote']

That sounds like a stomatella. They are good.

dsoz

Do a fresh water dip. ro/di preferably. Have the temp the same as tank. Buffer to same tank PH.

Put a couple of zoo's in the water for a few minute . then swish each clump. You will see them at the bottom. Inspect for eggs. If you have some Lugols put couple of drops in the water. I do suggest using gloves.

So... has anyone read this expeiment? http://www.practicalcoralfarming.com/zoonudis.html

It looks like this might be the solution we are looking for. What do you think of adding Salifert’s Flatworm Exit (FWE) to your tank in the manner discribed? Would you go for the dipping method first or go whole hog?

puntific

Here's another recomendation for this procedure: http://www.bluezooaquatics.com/resources.asp?show=15

WOW! that is some testimonial. I wonder if it works for monti-eating nudibranchs also.

I would start with a bucket dip. Then also treat the tank at a lower dose. Maybe see what a double dose would do in the bucket. If nothing comes of the double dose, then up it to the 4x dose mentioned in the first article.

Be sure to report your findings.

I sure hope that it is just this simple. It would be ironic with all the problems these guys cause and the cure is a simple flatworm exit treatment...

dsoz