Need lighting advice.

oxx155

I posted this over on RC, but haven't received any help, so I was hoping someone her might have an opinion.

Thanks

I currently have a 450 Gallon Mixed Reef Tank. 120" x 36" x 24"

It currently has 5 - 250 Watt HQI MH (Phoenix 14k), 8 - 24" T12 75w Actinic, 8 - 24" T12 75w 10k Aquasun, 4 - 48" T12 110w Super Actinic. These are all hung about 10" off of the water.

I am thinking about switching to 4 - 400 Watt Single End MH (XM 20k), 10 - 24" T5HO 24w 10k, 10 - 24" T5HO 24w Actinic, 4 - 48" T5HO 54w Super Actinic. These again will be hung about 10" off of the water.

My current HQI MH's are shorting out because the ends don't seem to be connecting right (on some, not all).

Questions

1. Does this sound like a good switch? or am I better off staying with what I have.

2. I have heard its better to have some MH's farther from the water for better light spread, what is a good distance?

3. Would this be too much light for a 24" deep tank?

I can't think of any other questions right now.

Thanks for everyone's help.

The answer to your question all depends on preference and what you altimately will be keeping in your tank.

5x250w DE's are defiantely adiquate and light your tank up well. That being said, you have a very wide tank and I think with the proper reflectors 4x400w's would give you even more light, more bulb options, and overall a bit better cost when changing the bulbs(though your electric bill will go up slightly so it might end up ulitmiately costing you a bit more with the 400w's).

I personally would run 4x 400w HQI ballasts(electronic would be ideal) with Radium bulbs and some nice lumenmax or similar reflectors. Your idea for actinic supplementation should be perfect with that mix. This is assuming you want a nice bright reef with a crisp white with a blue hint to it. I am also assuming that you will probably be housing colorful sps and maybe some clams and such.

I agree with Garrett. If you are going to go with 400w setups I would recommend Icecap ballasts(they are electronic) with Lumenarc reflectors. I'm using this setup with a Radium bulb over my frag tank and the corals have great coloration. There is no need for actinic supplementation running this setup, it's very blue in my opinion. Especially compared to the Phoenix 14k which I'm running over my DT.

I'm also running a 400w PFO HQI ballast with a PFO pendant and Radium bulb and it looks like a 250w MH next to the other setup. It's also not as blue as the electronic ballast. Below is a pic of the frag tank with the two light setups. I didn't adjust the coloration of the pic.

4129034069_8857d01d58.jpg