Best book read recently...

coralreefer

Yes, another list...just finished with lists of best movies, and what with Christmas holidays coming up and possibly a little more free time, I thought I'd ask for people's favorite books...maybe try to list 1 read in last year or so...

I'll start off...

"The Devil in the White City" by Erik Larson

possibly the best book I've read in a long time...you should check it out...

DrMerle

I just read "The Ruins" I know its a little old but I had seen the movie several times and saw the book and ya it was allot better than the movie! I find it to be true about allot of books. I dont read allot, dont come across books to often that grab my attention but this one I looked forward to reading.

Recently read "The Life of Pi" It's about an indian boy trapped on a lifeboat with a tiger. There's even a part dedicated to a strange macro algae. Very surreal and intense. I loved it!

I recently read The Life of Pi as well. It was very entertaining.

I read a lot so here's a list of a few recent ones:

Pillars of the Earth - Ken Follett. About building a cathedral in the 12th century. A LOT better than it sounds. One of the best historical fictions I've ever read.

World Without End - Ken Follett. Sequel to the above book, 200 years later.

Fool - Christopher Moore. About a jester in King Lear's court. The funniest book I've EVER read. In fact I read it twice, back to back and laughed myself silly both times.

A Dirty Job - Christopher Moore. The funniest book about death you will ever read.

Atlas Shrugged - Ayn Rand. Who is John Galt?....Pretty much hated it.

The Stand - Stephen King. For the third time. Very topical and ironic because of the H1N1 scare.

Under the Dome - Stephen King. I'm about a hundred pages into it and so far it's typical SK.

If you have not read anything by Christopher Moore, do yourself a favor and pick up one of his books (particularly Fool). Every one I've read is hysterically funny and highly entertaining.

Got to agree. I've got Fool sitting on my nightstand.

I would heartily reccomend: Lamb: The Gospel According to Biff, Christ's Childhood Pal, by Moore. I think it is the best of his work and very even handed.

The S.M. Stirling novels are pretty good. Meeting at Corvallis etc, etc.

It is an alternative, present history. Where a folksinging Ren Faire woman from Corvallis finds herself at a distinct advantage in coping with life without electricity or internal combustion engines. They do battle with the evil Portland Protective Organization!

One of my all time favorites has to be Lone Ranger and Tonto, Fistfight in Heaven by Sherman Alexie.

If you have not read anything by Christopher Moore, do yourself a favor and pick up one of his books (particularly Fool). Every one I've read is hysterically funny and highly entertaining.