KevMans New 80G Build

Kevman

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Bummed

OK, So I am officially bummed(sad). I hooked everything up, and ran the system using my GX-2400 Internal Pump in the Sump and it does'nt seem to be keeping up with the flow in to the Sump with out chocking the return line from the tank to the sump...I can get it to equlize out, but that leaves very little circulation....DOH!

So, does anyone have any suggestions on a internal pump that is bigger than the GX-2400? Its at 2400 L/H.

Maybe someone has one for sale(whistle)..

(naughty)

I don't understand, if your return to the sump is choking out and you half to turn the adjustment on the pump down to get it to equal out then why is it that you need a bigger pump? I would guess that ya need a bigger overflow line, to handle the pump ya have. Or am I just not understanding what you have written?

Ok, just read the post again and I think I'm getting it. when ya run the pump and ya fill the tank and it starts to overflow back into the sump, then ya turn off the pump and the water settles, how full is the sump? At this point the sump should be full, within an inch or so from the top of the sump. then when ya turn the pump back on and the water equals out ( tank is running to capacity and sump is no longer adding more water to the tank than the tank is returning to the sump) then mark the sump so you know how much to top off. if the sump still runs dry before the tank is full you may need a bigger sump or move the baffles so that the return pump side is allot bigger than it is.

Or get a bigger return pump-(scratch)

I had the same issue on my 75 gallon. Pump rated for 1500 gph with head lose, 1000 GPH, i had to choke back the returns as well.

I just orderd a Mag24 so at 2400GPH I should be good-LOL

Or at 2000-2100 with the same head lose that is.

Nice build you have there!

I just looked back at the pic's of your plumbing and since your returne lines are so low and it drains your tank so much, you are probably going to need to use locklines or somthing to that effect as to raise the power off waterline in the tank. Basicaly you want the overflow to establish your power off waterline. the way it is right now there is a couple inches of tank water syphening back into the tank do to the return lines being so much lower than your overflow.

Retuern to me would depend on which perspective in which you looking...i.e.Return to Sump/ return to Tank..LOL ;) Im getting alittle confused!

The problem is when the overflow from the tank to the sump is wide open and running, the pump to the tank return can not keep up...

Or get a bigger return pump-(scratch)

I had the same issue on my 75 gallon. Pump rated for 1500 gph with head lose, 1000 GPH, i had to choke back the returns as well.

I just orderd a Mag24 so at 2400GPH I should be good-LOL

Or at 2000-2100 with the same head lose that is.

Nice build you have there!

Dose your tank have one or two builtin overflows? I cant remember, but make sure the overflows you do have can handle the 2000gph. I just dont see the need to put that much water through the sump on a 75 gallon tank. to much flow through the sump and ya get a micro bubble problem. But hey to each his own. I still love your tank!!

Reef I get what you are saying... And now I have to check it out again , as I have confused myself ;).

I will attack this again tonight and update..

Again, thanks everyone for your input, I am so thankful I have a group of people I can turn to when I am at a loss..

Merry Christmas everyone..

Dose your tank have one or two builtin overflows? I cant remember' date=' but make sure the overflows you do have can handle the 2000gph. I just dont see the need to put that much water through the sump on a 75 gallon tank. to much flow through the sump and ya get a micro bubble problem. But hey to each his own. I still love your tank!![/quote']

Thanks Reef.... Im going to fiddle with it somemore and see what I figure out!!

Calculations

So, I did not check the tank, but did some math and used a PUMP CALCULATOR.. I am using a GX 2400 that comes out to be about 634GPH and wth 4ft hight, elbows, and such, that drops to 345 GPH of pressure..WEEK(nono)

So I found my RIO 4100 it has around 1084 GPH pressure that will drop down to 942 GPH Flow Rate. 75 Gallons turning it over 10 times and hour(clap).

I am going out of town tomorrow but will be switching pumps and I'll bet I get what I want out of the 4100(plotting).

Reef,,I will also be checking what you brought up earlier..

Thanks Everyone..Ill let you all know what I find.

• 2 weeks later...

Its up!!

So I did'nt paint the pipes as they will be covered in Coralline soon!! I moved the tank in the house and filled. I am using 150Lb of sand from the sand buy from Rick...

I can't believe how quite I have gottin it(clap) I can barely hear the tank running..

Right now I have the Rio pumping about 930 GPH and One Korillia 4 Running. As it clears I will add Rock and Some live sand I have been seeding about 80lbs of LR with and move the LR in as soon as I am comfortable with the Temp and S.G. I will post more pics as It clears...(rock2)

post-6038-141867752096_thumb.jpg

Check this Out!!

So I am very excited, My tank has cleared up. I have a CHromie fish and about 10 Crabs and two snails in there now...

Im going to be adding all the contants of my other tank into this one, this weekend...If I can get my MH Reflectors and bulbs!! If not I have to wait(whistle)

Wish me luck(clap)

post-6038-141867752173_thumb.jpg

post-6038-141867752176_thumb.jpg