KevMans New 80G Build

Kevman

(clap)So I am starting my new build...I purchased a 80G tank a couple of months ago, and am starting to build the stand and then the Light Canopy...I am going to build a new Sump as the one I have on my 39G is an old Wet/Dry and too small.

I will be installing Dual MH. and 2 VHO 36in Actinic.

I havent perchased a new return pump yet but I am going to have two holes drilled for the return, one hole to the sump. and I would like to install a closed loop...Do it NOW ya know... I dont want to put water in and then decide well I wish I did this or that.... Taking the time now, as my wallet and wife will allow...

The Stand is almost Done.(rock2)

post-6038-141867779536_thumb.jpg

post-6038-14186777954_thumb.jpg

post-6038-141867779543_thumb.jpg

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

nice tank man, get us some pics of it up too

stand looks really nice, i dont personally go in for the trim on tank stands, i like mine very nice and plain looking, but then, thats how i like all of my furniture lol.

looks very good all the way around, definitely keep us posted on it

So I will be putting another coat of stain on today.... I purchased Live Rock from Scotts tank he is taking down(thanks Scott for the great prices). And am going to start on my Light Canopy and Sump build This week... Im looking for Sump Ideas and a 900 to 1100 GPH external Pump,,ANYONE? The thing is there are a few people have to sell but I am looking for something quite.. That is the theme of this Tank....

I have now:

2-Internal RIO Pumps 800GPH I think.( 1on current Tank 39G)

1- Precision Marine Venturi Skimmer( current Tank)

1- Koralia 2 (current Tank)

1 20 G Wet/Dry Sump.(Current Set Up-NO BIO BALLS)

3- MH Ballests (1- 400w 20000K On Tank Now)

2- VHO 36" Actinic(1 on Current Tank)

I have pretty much what I need for the New Tank, But I want a new Sump. And I am going to Drill the New Tank, and Get rid of the Overflow Box.

Im want to set it up so Bad (drooler)... Im driving my wife Nuts(nutty). But she loves it too.

Im Off to go stain..(rock2)

Go CHARGERS...

If your going for a quiet tank, you should not go with an external pump. It's hard to beat the Ehiem 1262!

What are you doing for an overflow?

I have two rio's that are going to go in the Sump. Both are rated at around 800 or 900 GPH. I figured it out once, but dont remember exactlly what they came out to be....

Im going to drill the tank now. But am not sure if I want to use a intake box with a bulkhead inside to the sump. Or just go with direct bulkhead to sump....(scratch) I have to figure out what I am going to do. Im getting close to the point where I have to make a choice... I also want to build a custom sump, and a closed loop....

I have a lot to figure out(nutty)

• 4 weeks later...

Update:Plumbing

So I got my Tank Drilled, and installed some Plumbing to the new Sump I purchased from Mark(clap).

First is the Plumbing, I installed a Valve inline after the Barb to regulate the flow. I will also have one inline onthe flex hose from the pump.

And a coupler at the top of the Sump so I can remove the sump if needed..

The other is the LR In a Sump Bin from Garrett(thanks Garrett) I have about 10Lbs of Live sand and about 30lb of LR and 30lb of rock I am seeding. This has been up and running for about 3 weeks.. My Light Canopy is about 50% done as well...(clap).

I'll Post Pics of Canopy when finished..

post-6038-141867752031_thumb.jpg

post-6038-141867752035_thumb.jpg

post-6038-141867752038_thumb.jpg

post-6038-141867752041_thumb.jpg

Nice! What size pipe is the overflow? To me it dosnt look like it will handle the two pumps. Have ya already thought of that and decided on only using one pump? I wouldnt think ya need any more than one pump going through the sump anyway. Just need to get yourself a pair of Koralia 3's or 4's for the flow in the tank.

Correct

Nice! What size pipe is the overflow? To me it dosnt look like it will handle the two pumps. Have ya already thought of that and decided on only using one pump? I wouldnt think ya need any more than one pump going through the sump anyway. Just need to get yourself a pair of Koralia 3's or 4's for the flow in the tank.

Your are correct Im going with a single GX 2400 internal pump. The Pipes are all 1inch.

What do you think?

Internal

Hey what up. Are you doing a internal' date=' or external pump? I put the bulkhead in reverse in the sump so it would not hit or snag on anything while transporting. Good looking build, mine is in limbo until after the holidays. Good luck.[/quote']

Going Internal... Tryin to keep quite as possible. I am going to turn the bulk head around..Might just replace with one I have and put a plug in that is alittle closer to the sump to save space...

Hey Im just doin a little hear alittle there.. I wont actually have this one up till mid January Im thinkin.

Christmas has eatin up my funds!!

Thanks again for the Sump!(clap)

I like it! I love the build process! If I win the lotto' date=' I think I would just help people with there builds! Become a free, tank handyman.[/quote']

Thanks, I like the FREE part.... If you are coming to Salem sometime PM me. I love extra input!!!!(rock2)

Thanks' date=' I like the FREE part.... If you are coming to Salem sometime PM me. I love extra input!!!!(rock2)[/quote']

With the kids and GF's schedule I don't think I'll be making it down to Salem any time soon :( but it looks like you are well on your way to having a great setup! Do you plan on painting the back of the tank?

With the kids and GF's schedule I don't think I'll be making it down to Salem any time soon :( but it looks like you are well on your way to having a great setup! Do you plan on painting the back of the tank?

Yep, I havent glued the pipes yet so I just Marked them and took them off..I havent got any paint yet.

So Does anyone have suggestions? Color? Brand of Paint? Will KRYLON work?

Yep, I havent glued the pipes yet so I just Marked them and took them off..I havent got any paint yet.

So Does anyone have suggestions? Color? Brand of Paint? Will KRYLON work?

Any paint will work, I gust got the $2 cheep stuff from HD to do mine. Color is mostly a personal pref. I like mine black, I believe it shows the color of the inhabitants better, but some like the blue color as well. really up to you.