Ryans 90g Envison Build

Ryan

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I finally finished up the plumbing today!

Picture027.jpg

I cut these brackets to support the return lines. They are cut out of 1/2" acrylic, and cemented to the inside of my sump:

Picture029.jpg

Picture046.jpg

Return Line w/distribution manifold:

Picture047.jpg

Picture048.jpg

The bottom valve will go do my Zeovit Reactor, the middle will go to my carbon reactor, and the top will be a spare (probably used for my chiller in the summer).

All said and done (well kinda):

Picture041.jpg

I decided to mix the salt water in the tank. I was going to borrow someones 55g drum to mix the water in, but this will work just as well.

I have been trying to "clean" the sand for weeks now, hopping to avoid the cloudy water. I don't think its possible. I used a fine mesh called "tulle" from a fabric store to do the initial rinse. I did a couple pounds at a time dipping it multiple times in clean RO/DI. Then I put it all in a 10g Rubbermaid container and replaced the water EVERY day. I never got it to run "clean." oh well, it should clear up in a couple days.

Once the tank is filled with RO/DI, I'll throw my Vortechs in then add the salt. After the salt is mixed for several days, I'll add my rock that has been curing for 6 weeks.

I'll be able to start the Zeovit cycle once I finish the lighting, then I'll be adding my first fish in 10 days & coral in 14 days.

A lot of progress this week!

The tank is filled, sand is in, salt is in (1.025 sg), the water has cleared, and the rock is now it. Im very happy with the tank so far!

Heres a vid of the DIY seaswirls:

Heres what the tank looks like after I put the rock in this morning. The water is still a bid hazy....

Picture054.jpg?t=1267399837

What do you think?

I pretty much just threw the rock in there in the "island formation." It will probably stay in 2 different islands, but I will probably end up adjusting it a bit.

super clean, just get ready for all new tank syndromes..

after two months my sand is finally starting to look cleaner.

I know :-( Im not looking forward to it. Im sure the Zeovit cycle wont help either...

Andy, Huskerduck, & Garrett thanks for the comments!

I finished my lighting rack today, it consists of the following:

2- Icecap 660 Ballasts

8- T5 bulbs

8- AquaIllumination T5 Relectors

I am running the following bulbs from front to back:

Front

ATI Blue Plus

ATI Aqua Blue

ATI Blue Plus

ATI Aqua Blue

ATI Blue Plus

KZ Fiji Purple

ATI Aqua Blue

ATI Blue Plus

Back

I am running all of the Blue Plus bulbs on one ballast, and the Aqua Blue and Fiji Purple on the other ballast.

Here are some pics:

Picture064.jpg

Picture069.jpg

Picture070.jpg

Picture075.jpg

Picture078.jpg

Picture079.jpg

Picture080.jpg

Picture081.jpg

Picture084.jpg

Picture085.jpg

Picture087.jpg

Picture090.jpg

Picture102.jpg

Picture105.jpg

It was hard to get a good picture that actually represents the actual color. The pics look very blue (I think from all of the spill over), but it is actually a VERY crisp white with a hint of blue. I like it A LOT!!! The T5's are VERY BRIGHT!!!!

The legs on the lighting rack are temporary. The whole rack will be mounted in my canopy after I build it.

That's a very cool light rack -- having the ballasts in the hood would make me nervous though (warm salty air is rough on electronics), but those Icecaps are sealed right? No fans? Still adding heat up in the hood though...

I thought about the humid salt water air issue, but after thinking about it, it's no different then having your ballasts mounted in you stand above your sump...

As for fans, I will be running 4 120mm 12v fans. All four will be mounted on the back of my canopy. 2 will be pushing air at the end caps of the lights, and the other 2 will be pointed at the ballasts.

Thanks guys! The seaswirls have

been going strong for 2 weeks now!

I finished the Zeovit reactor today, and started the zeovit cycle. I'll be adding the first fish in 10 days, and first coral in 14 days. I can't wait!!!

• 4 weeks later...

Just a quick update!

The tank has been running great. All of my corals are now in the tank and mounted on the rocks. I am still working on organizing/hiding all of my wiring. I was not happy with my first skimmer, so I upgraded to an ATB 840 v1.5 (thanks Barrier Reef). I am VERY happy with it. It has only been running for 6 days and it is producing nearly black skimmate!

Unfortunately I neglected my old tank for the last 2 months while I was building the new one...Most of my corals lost their color, so I am working on getting the colors back. Everything already looks twice as good as it did in my old tank.

Picture028.jpg

Picture019-1.jpg

Picture020.jpg

Picture022-1.jpg

Picture024.jpg

• 1 month later...

They are running great! I had to replace the motor on one of the cause a snail got stuck between the out put and the side of the tank so it did not allow the output to rotate. I have been very happy with them though!

Actually Gill, it's not about the number of watts per gallon, its about the type/quality of the lighting. The proper T5's, with the proper individual reflectors, will allow you to grow just about any coral you want.

I'm actually switching over to T5's myself as soon as I get my halide sold.