My Miami for $1,875!

grassi

When I first looked at it' date=' I thought that was the asking price, then I realized it had 20 bids! That guy must want it pretty bad. You can buy some pretty nice corals for $2k.[/quote']

And it still has 3 days left.

9 people bidding as well.

I saw that while checking RC. I hope the bidders realize its an eye, which it does state but the photo is of the colony.

Believe me as a seller on Ebay People DO NOT read, and then get bent when they realizethey dont know what they bought.

Should be an IQ or at least a reading quiz to be a bidder on FLEABAY.

Should send the seller a Q, and ask how much for the whole colony-we could all pitch in(laugh)

WOW - and that's just the frag! When I first opened it I assumed it was for the colony - which is still expensive. But for just a frag! Insane that people are bidding on it.

Isn't thus just a "Miami Hurricane" chalice - that sells for about $200 for a frag? Granted, this one has had some generous photo... adjustment.

Crazy.

I'm really curious' date=' are these new zoas and chalices with these exotic names just hybrids of pure(ocean) strains? or are they just newly discovered varieties?[/quote']

No, they're just corals straight from the wild blue. Most of these tend to be the nicer, more colorful examples. Wholesalers get in an order, they or a preferred customer go through and cherry-pick the nicer looking pieces. Then they give it a name, and charge a lot of money for it.

I'm really curious' date=' are these new zoas and chalices with these exotic names just hybrids of pure(ocean) strains? or are they just newly discovered varieties?[/quote']

Neither, as Jason mentioned above they are just corals. Nothing special about them except that they are sometimes more colorful than average. What is interesting is that they all get sold into the wholesale market for the same price. It's somewhere after that point that someone picks through them and marks them up with a fancy nickname to make a killing. Unfortunately people buy into this and spend outrageous sums of money which encourages the practice.

I would never spend that amount of money for a coral. That said, a few days ago I went to a shop and the guy was trying to sell me a discolored chalice, with a fancy name.

Sure, it was the same kind of coral.

He said they are all the same. I agreed, in the same way I agree that me and Brad Pitt are the same: [language filter] sapiens sapiens. But there is a huge difference between me and Brad, with my full respect for Brad ;-)

All the most rare and desirable things are pricey, this is an unlucky rule.

One day, as Beckie said, we will all have that beauty for cheap.

I just hope that such a huge amount of money is gonna go back into our beautiful hobby, helping us to have more selection and wonderful corals in our tanks.

When I posted this link this morning I was thinking at this nice article from Calfo and I just wanted to see what was your "approach" here on pnwmas:

http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2005-02/ac/index.php

Alex

I realize the marketing they have poured into that chalice and have done several dealings with Jason personally, but I find it very hard to believe that it's not just hype to help sell off all the future frags. I cannot see anyone in this economy or for that matter several people bidding for such an astronomical amount for a one eye frag especially on ebay of all places. Good marketing, but I really think it's the hype for future frags, not just this one. JMHO!!!!!

I have thought for a very long time and actually made an old post about it somewhere that it looked identical to a chalice frag I had that I sold a few years ago. Oh well, best of luck to them. Maybe down the road I can sell my wanna-be for 1/2 as much....lol

Here is the one that I sold a frag of a few years ago. Back then I called it the goldfinger watermelon.

c13.jpg