NEED YOUR HELP!! Got a New House!! 240 gallon TIME!!

ClayTheSavageFraser

I am moving!! I got a house!! I have a 240 all glass aquarium coming on tuesday!! I can't wait!! I am so phsyched!! I need your help!! I need to know what I need to do. I am transferring my 100 gallon stacked full of corals to a new tank!! What should I do? What should I watch out for, How should I do it? I know I have seen some guys do a move and I would like to pick your brain! What challenges did you encounter? What is the process you would recommend? I don't want to kill anything!! I want to have a no casualty move!! Thank you for your input and help!!

Sunshine and Smiles,

Clay

doggolffishtank014-1.jpg

jeffnewshopfishtank025.jpg

jeffnewshopfishtank031-1.jpg

my advice would be. Don't rush it...

Either set your other tank up and keep your stuff in it temporarily until the 240 is perfect or find a place to at least hold your fish and coral for a few until it's ready. Make sure you have everything ready for it.

Do you have/need: UV, lights, sump, chiller, heater, skimmer, rock, sand, pumps, ball valves, check valves, other plumbing... I only ask this because I have been making this very list and checking things off as I go... I've been getting things for a good 6 months now and I still am not quite ready yet...

Are you going to want to drill the tank at all for a closed loop or return lines? If so this is the best and basically the only time you can. Do you need to add any electrical outlets/breakers to help with the power needs? How about bracing the floor. that thing is gonna way 2 tons with a rather small footprint vs. weight...

That should work for starters...(scratch)

Love the tank and the weimaraner BTW!!!

I've made a few tank swaps so far now and I didn't really have the luxury of taking my time. Basically I had to plan and prep everything to make the move last only hours as opposed to days. I would plan to reuse 100% of the water. (It will be like doing a huge water change that way) Sand would depend upon the age of it but I would plan to use a good portion of it at least as seed sand. If it's old then you may want to just use new and add a smaller portion for seed. Obviously all of the rock will go. I would say you will need one 55 gallon drum and 5 or 6 15 to 20 gallon totes. The number of totes will allow you to separate the corals etc. out somewhat. If you do make the move in one day then plan for it to be a very long day.

I have until the end of this month to get out of this house. So I am definitely going to go slow. I need to know if my lighting system would work for this one too. I have a dual ballast maristar with 2 250w mhs and a dual 400 w ballast pushin it. I want to know if I put 2 400watt bulbs in the 250 spot would it work? Or would it be too risky?

Clay

• 2 weeks later...