Sturgeon Fishing 101

Ocean In a Box

So recently I bought a boat to go out with the family and do some day cruising along the river. Well, actually more for next year. However, I did want to go and do some sturgeon fishing prior to winterizing the boat. Anyone with success have any good spots along the columbia between the I-5 bridge and bonneville dam? If you know of any good spots where you have had some luck let me know. Im wanting to take my son out next week, weather permitting.(naughty)

across from the boat ramp. Below the dam a mile or less. Can't remember the name. You MUST have the proper anchor and equipment. Know exactly how to use it. Take the Columbia very seriously. Know how to use the fish finder. And do not forget the barges!! Is this your first boat? What did you get/ Size, motor, type?

I don't know anything about sturgeon fishing on a boat or where to do it, but a few years ago me and friend decided to give it a try off a pier in Astoria. We weren't even really trying, spent most of the day drinking beer on the tailgate of his truck....then all of the sudden my pole starting going CRAZY! Im lucky I got to it in time before it went over the pier into the water. I guess it was just beginners luck.

3981019046_4b8dab91d4.jpg

Im on the right.

Sorry, don't have any advice about fishing from a boat but i still have to share. I have fished below the bonneville dam a few times and it really is a blast. Here is a pic of the biggest one i caught with some buddies. measured just over 77" so it had to be released. Plan on going again this year.

3980495725_36f0794472_b.jpg

across from the boat ramp. Below the dam a mile or less. Can't remember the name. You MUST have the proper anchor and equipment. Know exactly how to use it. Take the Columbia very seriously. Know how to use the fish finder. And do not forget the barges!! Is this your first boat? What did you get/ Size' date=' motor, type?[/quote']

No this is my 3rd boat. I have been on the columbia many times boating and fishing, but mostly always catch shakers. It's a 25' cuddy cabin cruiser with a brand new 350 engine and OMC outdrive.When you say across from boat ramp, which one? Im assuming the Camas boat launch?

Sorry, don't have any advice about fishing from a boat but i still have to share. I have fished below the bonneville dam a few times and it really is a blast. Here is a pic of the biggest one i caught with some buddies. measured just over 77" so it had to be released. Plan on going again this year.

3980495725_36f0794472_b.jpg

AWESOME pic, now I really want to go!!!!!

THERE ARE A LOT OF GOOD FISHING HOLES ON THE COL. THERE IS ONE ABOUT 5 MILES ABOVE TROUTDALE IT IS OVER BY THE OREGON SIDE.. THERE IS A PULL OF AERA ON 84 JUST ABOUT 21 MILE MARKER YOU FISH ABOUT 50 YARDS OFF THAT POINT... YOU CAN ALSO FISH OF CATAPLLER ISLAND THIS IS 5 MILES BELOW THE I-5 BRIDGE ON THE WA. SIDE BOTH OF THESE ARE GREAT FISHING HOLES... BUT DONT TELL ANY- BODY. GOOD LUCK

THERE ARE A LOT OF GOOD FISHING HOLES ON THE COL. THERE IS ONE ABOUT 5 MILES ABOVE TROUTDALE IT IS OVER BY THE OREGON SIDE.. THERE IS A PULL OF AERA ON 84 JUST ABOUT 21 MILE MARKER YOU FISH ABOUT 50 YARDS OFF THAT POINT... YOU CAN ALSO FISH OF CATAPLLER ISLAND THIS IS 5 MILES BELOW THE I-5 BRIDGE ON THE WA. SIDE BOTH OF THESE ARE GREAT FISHING HOLES... BUT DONT TELL ANY- BODY. GOOD LUCK
Mum's the word!!!!!!!