Ich or something else?

siskiou

One of my fish (Powderbrown Tang) showed up with many white spots suddenly last night, looking like ich, but this morning they are all gone, and I don't think that ich stage only lasts one day, or does it?

It didn't look like air bubbles or sand grains, but little whitish encapsulated bumps.

For now, I'm feeding garlic soaked food and have turned on the uv sterilizer, but I'm not really sure if I'm dealing with ich or something else.

The fish acts healthy and normal, no scratching, and is eating just fine.

I would just keep up with the garlic and UV. It is common for them to show symptoms one day, and be clear the next. I am frustrated with ich right now. I QT my fish for 2 months and put them back in the fallow tank, and they get ich. Must have been from a coral trade, cuz I didn't have a single fish in the whole system. They are doing very well at fighting it, with garlic and the UV. Unless it gets really bad, and they stop eating, just keep up what you are doing.

I am frustrated with ich right now. I QT my fish for 2 months and put them back in the fallow tank' date=' and they get ich.[/quote']

That's really annoying!

I've read that unless you qt every single thing you put in your tank, including snails etc., it's almost impossible to keep out ich, and some creatures just don't do well in OT.

Gook luck with treating your's, and I'm just going to continue with UV and garlic for now.

Having the same problem with my powder brown right now. He's not itching and is eating fine so I'm just letting it run it's course. I'm not even doing the garlic. I don't want my corals to get to much of a slime coat. He's getting better and everything else in my tank is fine.

I also have recently had my Royal gramma showing signs of Ich. 9 days ago left for SanDiego and turned off skimmer, was worried about overflowing onto carpet while gone. House sitter called and said fish were dying. Clay came over and adjusted Korlias to face upward and aggitate surface ( canister filter was not performing well...bought a new one since). We came home and next day 1 of 3 fish that survived had Ich. Seemed to be happy for first day and then spent 4 days rubbing itself or scratching on the rocks during treatment. I used Seachem reef complete and it either seemed to work in a fw days or the fish just worked it's way through it. I am only a newbee, but I have came to the conclusion that all tanks have Ich. They may not shows the aggrivated signs of it on the fish and in most cases the Ich is in the fish's gills , but just not showing signs until the fish becomes stressed. Other healthy fish may not get it unless they are also stressed due to the same condition that caused #1 fish to show signs or stressed from #1 fish being aggitated. Thats my story....and I'm sticking to it. :)

I have seen tangs get ick several months to years later in an established tank if something goes way wrong. I think it is always there. Stress just weekens the fish so much that the ick takes hold. Feed as muck fresh natural food as possible. Market raw shrimp, fish. frozen first, organic broccoli.

• 2 weeks later...

Just some info on ich...your fish ALWAYS have ich on their body...it is always in the tank...if they become stressed, their immune system/body mucus/antibodies becomes less effective and the ich starts to replicate and invade...same as when we become run down or our immune system is suppressed...we become more susceptible to colds and infections...

A new fish showing signs of ich doesn't give the rest of the tank ich...the new fish may upset tank and they become stressed and come down with ich, as it has been there the whole time...

A quarantine tank is great for many parasites, but ich is not one of them in my estimation...new fish just have to go through 2 stressful periods instead of one.

DrMerle