Is the cost of a ro/di unit worthwhile

lurch

For me it honestly came down to one thing, I was sick and tired of lugging jugs of water back and forth.

So for me it is definitely worth it.

There are cheaper models out there. I have this one and it works like a champ, and shipping is free.

http://cgi.ebay.com/AQUARIUM-REEF-RO-DI-REVERSE-OSMOSIS-FILTRATION-SYSTEM_W0QQitemZ350256527779QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item518cea79a3&_trksid=p4634.c0.m14.l1262

Here's one for less than $100 once you calculate the discount and they are a sponsor here as well. (Check their sub-forum for details on getting the discount) http://www.airwaterice.com/product/1MMDI/Mighty_Mite_50GPD_with_DI_Added.html

As to the cost. If you figure that each bucket costs you $2 for RO/DI (This is an average of several LFS) and then add cost of gas and then multiply this by 6 months or a year of use then it doesn't take long for the RO/DI unit to pay for itself and it will save a lot of work and time carrying buckets. Note: I personally use the Mighty Might in the link above.

I've got this. Good quality. Good price.

For me it honestly came down to one thing, I was sick and tired of lugging jugs of water back and forth.

So for me it is definitely worth it.

There are cheaper models out there. I have this one and it works like a champ, and shipping is free.

http://cgi.ebay.com/AQUARIUM-REEF-RO-DI-REVERSE-OSMOSIS-FILTRATION-SYSTEM_W0QQitemZ350256527779QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item518cea79a3&_trksid=p4634.c0.m14.l1262

Depending on where you go costs can range from $1/5g to $3/5g. Plus if your going out of your way to get the water that is costing you money too. Add up what you think it is costing you per month to buy the water. Then call AWI and talk to them like I did and they'll tell you the real lowdown of the life expectancy of the unit your looking at. They are really nice and they'll answer any questions you do have. I live in Scappoose so a drive to the fish store is a big part of the cost for me since it's a ways out of the way. I also knew I would be upgrading tanks soon and it was really going to pay for itself when that happened...

I have only been doing this for a few months now and had the same question. Was buying from LFS until a budy got one and that we both thought a-ha, we wont have to make the trip to the LFS. I had to make the trip to his place and interupt dinner etc and his kitchen looked like a water factory with both of us using. I bought a RO/DI and it's GREAT! If you own a remote for your TV because you don't want to get off the couch, then why don't you own a RO/DI !!

FWIW, the mighty mite I listed earlier also has the fitting to attach it to a faucet if your space limited like I am. Mine sits on the bathroom counter and runs off the faucet. The waste runs down the sink drain (If I had a use for the waste water I would run it into containers) and I fill buckets in the tub so I don't have to worry about them overfilling. On a normal day I can make 30 gallons. (Keep in mind that the rated GPH usually depend upon a set temperature and water pressure) Any of the units listed above will work fine though.

100% worth it if you were buying it from a store.

I was spending it seemed between 50-80 bucks a month on water, not to mention having to haul jugs of water all over hell and back.

I spent 150 on mine and have easily made my money back in 2 months, not to mention it makes good drinking water too.

So far the dogs like the run-off water, the rest of it I am letting go in the back yard. I just extended the run off line and move it around. I have the Coralife unit and it came with a faucet adapter for those in apartments and such. There is a bracket included to mount to the side of the house next to the hose hanger and wa-la.