Away for the weekend and.......!

newfisher

I am sure most people from time to time leave their tanks for a day or two, mabey more like I did, and I am trying to get a feel from you all on how to deal with the frustration the day you come back. dj_gianti is starting a rehab center and I think that is where I will end up! I have a 49G bowfront corner with an Ehiem pro2 canister and a Remora C skimmer. The Skimmer, on occasion, has just started producing a huge ammount of liquid and then back to normal. Luckily Liquid Sunshine exchanged the drain model that I wanted for the drain model that I now have ( they are awsome!! ) and it has been through the break in period, but still all across the board on liquid no matter how the cup is adjusted. I left for the weekend and unplugged it. Advice that I had been given after having to do an Emergency repair and 15 gallon water replacement for a freind who left for a few days and soaked the neighbors downstairs! I am gone 2nd day and 1 fish died, told sitter to remove and notify if something looked-smelled-felt weird or wet ( wow, that brings back alot of highschool memories...anyway) and she called on the 3rd day,,,another fish!!! Crap!! Help...Clay...what's wrong. He drove over and inspected evertything ( THANKS CLAY!!). Salt-ok, water quality-ok, temp-ok...Scum forming ontop of water-NOT OK. What do you suggest? I have 2 Koralina 2's and he pointed one upward to disturb the surface and create better oxygenated water. Do I add another to do this while I am gone? Do I have the living room tiled and a drain in the floor installed with a water top-off system just in case? Do I take a picture, empty the tank and install the picture on the back of the glass? What did you guys/gals do in the begining to work through similar issues?

Thanks,

Jon

I figured the " house sitter" was capable of watching dogs, mail etc. and didn't need an extra person comming over to keep an eye on the silent death happening beneath the surface. She did an awsome job flushing them!! She said " I even said a prayer for them". What more can you ask? My wife is the driven support behind this new hobby. I can usually fix it if I can pour gas/diesel in it, shoots paint, has a prop or weighs 90 lbs and makes human size turds. This SW thing is getting frustrating fast. I try to read as many forum threads as I can prior to and during this new hobby and have come to one conclusion......all tanks/fish/people/methods are different. Even if they are identical they will have varied results. I am just looking for as many idea's for disaster diversion.

Left for two weeks, leaving my two tanks with my husband and daughter.

They had a list of awesome local reefers, who came through when the skimmer pump failed (why do these things always happen, when someone else is taking care of the tank?).

Then both ATOs "stopped working" (they miraculously worked again, when I came home and turned them back on) and husband and daughter topped off by hand, and I got daily calls about "something making an odd noise", corals not looking happy etc.

They were too embarrassed to ask for help again, and sent me pics via the computer, so I could diagnose from a continent away.

Talk about a relaxing time! :D

Everything was still alive when I got back, but both tanks have suffered from cyano since.