DIY rock question

reef165

We form the rock in a bucket of sand/crused coral. Put in a layer of sand, put cement on top, sand around, more cement, more sand, more cement, etc. Just don't let the cement come in contact with the side of the bucket, it makes a funky looking (unnatural) edge to the rock.

If you don't have the sand or crushed coral you can get a bag of water softener salt at any of the home improvement stores.

dsoz

Dennis' method has proven very good. He has some nice rocks. I would go with his method. You don't want to be putting anything too unnatural in your system like styrofoam... If you can find it, get the stuff that cures much faster also. Dennis can tell you all about that... (whistle)

(scratch)Here's another thought. Just go by dennis' house and buy some of his rock. For the price and trouble of making your own you could get it from him. He sells at ridiculous prices if I remember correctly...(scratch)

Really' date=' so I could use pvc for the holes in it? I didnt think I could cuz the large cement tanks ive seen built use pvc through the cement and I assumed that it formed a water tite bond but I guess thats what I get for an usumption![/quote']

I wouldn't unless you intend to leave the PVC in there. Cement shrinks a little which for a small inside diameter would tighten the fit making it harder to remove unless you can easily collapse the PVC (which isn't going to be too easy). If you can find a thin plastic tube that you can easily collapse after the cement sets up then it shouldn't stick to the side.

Really' date=' so I could use pvc for the holes in it? I didnt think I could cuz the large cement tanks ive seen built use pvc through the cement and I assumed that it formed a water tite bond but I guess thats what I get for an usumption![/quote']

I didn't say PVC which is polyvinyl chloride, i said plastic. You could line your mold with a plastic garbage bag and it would pull off after dry with no problem.

I use plastic baggies to make holes and caves. They pull right out once the mixture hardens.

One of the places I read uses rubber gloves as well.

PVC is a type of thermoplastic. (The term plastic is a general term covering many materials rather than a specific type)

Regardless PVC that is thin enough would likely be fine but normally it isn't flexible enough to easily remove once it's encased in something. Because of this you will need to find a thinner material that can easily be removed once it has something encasing it. Something that will collapse (thin tube, baggies, rubber gloves, etc.) will work better.

I was just out in the garage about a 1/2 hour ago looking at the buckets thinking the same thing! Thinking since Im working with a 40 breeder thats 18 front to back and 16 tall , I could make two pillers abought 12 to 13 inches tall and then the size of the bucket round. and then some other rock to fill out the rest.

• 2 weeks later...

Ok so my tryal piece is out of the salt, I used salt insted or sand for the texture and well just cuz. anyway heres the first fock, its flat on the bottom cuz im going to have a bare bottom and the sand thats in the tank now is getting incorporated into the DIY rock.

post-110-141867749488_thumb.jpg

post-110-14186774949_thumb.jpg

post-110-141867749492_thumb.jpg

It is the same piece just dif angles, but yes I am using the sand out of my tank to go into the rock because Im going with a bare bottom and dont need the sand in the tank.

I used a mix of.

3 parts cement

1 1/2 part cruched coral sand

3 parts salt ( of the water softener veriaty )