DIY rock question

reef165

• 5 weeks later...

Ok so I had the pieces outside spraying them down and in the rain for about a month now and today I put them in a tub with water. I added a small powerhead ( I dont know if its needed or not but I did it) How long till I can test PH and get a reading? Or should I not worry about it for a couple weeks? and in a couple weeks, if I change the water how long should I use that water before testing it for PH to be sure its good?

You can also put it in the tank of the toilet if it will fit. I cure all my rock in there. A funny design to try, which we did at school, was blow up a rubber glove and form the diy rock around it. Will post pics later. Made a cool cave with lots of side tunnels!

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

It will be off the chart pH wise for a couple months minimum.

I leave mine outside for several months with the rain and watering with the hose (when not raining). Then I keep it in fresh water (waste from my RO/DI) that gets chainged often (whenever I make more water). Once the pH is below 8.8 the rock goes into a 75g saltwater holding tank that has some fish and other stuff growing in there. That helps get the bacteria going. Once again, it needs to go for several months before it is ready to go into a tank where there is any delicate life.

Once coraline algae starts to grow on it, it seems to be fine. If coraline is not growing on it, then the pH is probably too high still.

dsoz