Soot's 20gal to 40gal Upgrade Thread

SootHappens

Hey all, I'm new to the forum - Nice to meet you.

I've had a 20gal glass reef tank for a few years now, and it's finally time to upgrade (clap)

I recently bought a 40gal TruVu and stand from fellow member "Rick" (thanks Rick!) and this thread will serve as a work-in-progress biography.

First off, some pictures of the 20, as currently running:

20wholetanksm.jpg

20wholetanksidesm.th.jpg20wholetankbacksm.th.jpg20spraybar2sm.th.jpg20spraybarsm.th.jpg20full2sm.th.jpg20fullsm.th.jpg20corals3sm.th.jpg20corals2sm.th.jpg20coralssm.th.jpg

And the new setup as of today:

New water, 20lbs of live sand, and a few rocks from Waves (more to come).

I'm also getting a pair of T5 36" actinics and a 175w Halide in a few days. Right now it has a simple light in there just so I can see what's going on (whistle) The tank is running and I'll let it cycle a little before tearing down the 20 to do the transfer.

With my best bud (RedCloud), we plumbed up the tank with drain and return bulkheads. The drain uses the Durso method to quiet the slurping.

The sump came with the setup from Rick, with a Coralife skimmer that seems to work well. I cut out the hole and installed a filter sock.

Pics:

img0288sm.jpg

img0282sm.th.jpgimg0290sm.th.jpgimg0291sm.th.jpgimg0285sm.th.jpgimg0283sm.th.jpg

40rock.th.jpg

I'm still a NOOB with all this stuff, and just wanted to share.. I will update this post as my new tank progresses. I'm open to suggestions, constructive criticism, compliments, etc... Cheers! :D

And now, what everyone has been waiting for:

I took the day off yesterday and tore down the 20gal setup (in Rainier, OR) and brought everything to my place in Clackamas.

Lastnight RedCloud and I put in the additional sand, live rock, corals, and my Cinnamon Clown. With his help I think we've created quite the nice looking rockscape!

Pics:

img0311sm.th.jpgimg0310sm.th.jpgimg0309sm.th.jpgimg0308sm.th.jpgimg0307sm.th.jpg

img0302sm.th.jpgimg0303sm.th.jpgimg0304sm.th.jpgimg0305sm.th.jpgimg0306sm.th.jpgimg0301sm.th.jpg

Video:

Added my Blue Tang to the tank...

The two are getting along great!

I called up Youtube and had them come get a couple vids of them playing in the Koralia3 current.

Thanks for looking!

What did you do with the little light for your 20?

I'm thinking maybe using the 20 as a frag tank using that light system... Probably not right away, but maybe someday (naughty)

Thanks guys!

I added a pic of the additional rock added last night.. Another trip to Waves yesterday and $100 more live rock!

Thanks! The comments/compliments are always appreciated (rock2)

Question:

I have a nice Tang that I'd like to put in the tank with the giant Cinnamon Clown. I'd say the two fish are equal in size. Any "expert" advice??

Pic of the tang as currently swimming in RedCloud's 29gal Frag Tank:

bluetangfragtank.jpg

What kind of advice? Size of tank? Compatibility with the clown? I already know the majority will say the tank is too small. I also know there are a lot of people with a tang in even smaller tanks. I actually was going to put one in that tank at one point before I decided to add the eel and put the trigger in there instead.

Oh, well I guess I'm just looking for someone to say the clown won't eat it... lol

:)

note: the Cinnamon clown is pictured on pg 1. The one in the 29g with the Tang currently is a much smaller Tomato clown

If you put them both in at once then it should help alleviate any problems. (Or you could stick the clown in the sump for a couple of days also)

Thanks Rick, I'll give that a try.

They are both healthy fish with great personalities... - Always at the front of the tank watching me, and they both know what the food container looks like!

Hopefully they will get along. I will post a pic or two when they are united and settled.

I'd like to get an anemone soon, but I've had bad luck in the past with them. ie they never took hold of anything and end up getting sucked into a pump or drain. Have others experiences shown a particular type of anemone to be preferable?

Thanks!

Thanks Rick, I'll give that a try.

They are both healthy fish with great personalities... - Always at the front of the tank watching me, and they both know what the food container looks like!

Hopefully they will get along. I will post a pic or two when they are united and settled.

I'd like to get an anemone soon, but I've had bad luck in the past with them. ie they never took hold of anything and end up getting sucked into a pump or drain. Have others experiences shown a particular type of anemone to be preferable?

Thanks!

Bubble Tip Anemones are the easiest to care for and the Cinnamon will likely take to it. Mine does but then it use to use a frogspawn as it's host. Be sure to screen the drains and power heads though. I use vinyl latchhook mesh from the sewing section at walmart to make screens from that are small enough to keep them from getting sucked in. Keep in mind that when they are moving it's because they are trying to find someplace comfortable. (Less flow, more flow, more light, less light, etc.) If you can figure out what they need and supply it then they will usually stay put fairly well.

Check out http://karensroseanemones.com

While the site is about Rose BTA's the information is identical for Green ones as well.

The Tang and Clown are getting along great!

I called up Youtube and had them come shoot a couple vids of them playing in the Koralia3 current.

Thanks for looking,

-Scott

Great. My Purple Tang and Cinnamon Clown have always gotten along fine so I didn't think it would be a problem.